How FUBAR'd is my car?

Since you're in there (& will most likely turbo the car) you should...

• ...put it back to stock and leave it. Save the $$$ for when you build and turbo it!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • ...install 1.6 RR's, leave the retainer to stock spec's, but put in the 105# springs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...install 1.9 RR's, leave the retainer to stock spec's, but put in the 105# springs

• ...install 1.6 RR's, upgrade the retainers, 105# springs and that's all.

• ...install 1.9 RR's, upgrade the retainers, 105# springs and that's all.

• ...install 1.6 RR's, upgrade the retainers, 105# springs and port the exhaust valves.

• ...install 1.9 RR's, upgrade the retainers, 105# springs and port the exhaust valves.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ...install 1.6 RR's, upgrade retainers, 105# springs and port the exhaust & intake valves.

• ...install 1.9 RR's, upgrade retainers, 105# springs and port the exhaust & intake valves.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Stat's on the car:

2000 Firebird V6, w/ 112K miles
Mods are:
- ZZP H2O Pulley
- SLP Loudmouth I exhaust
- Whisper Air Lid
- 160* stat
- NGK V's
- a bunch of irrelevant suspension parts

The car's check engine light has been going on and off since around Thanksgiving. I've had coolant issues with the MOTHER FUCKER!! since last summer and I switched over to the green coolant about 7 or so months ago. The car has had a coolant leak since last summer or there abouts, but NO COOLANT has leaked from the car.

I pressure tested the system and I can't find a darn thing. I have no idea where the coolant is going, but every week or so, the level in the reservoir goes down. The car runs strong, it pulls like normal...

Two days ago, I noticed a smell coming from the vents. It didn't smell like fresh antifreeze, but rather old stale burnt antifreeze. Sort of like, when you go to a junk yard and you see an old '54 Chevy Pick up...except, mine is a burnt version of that smell. When I last night while on my way home from work, the heat gauge buried itself and was around 260*, there was NO heat coming from the vents and the smell was there again.

Minutes from work this morning, the car died 3 times. Being I had just replaced the fuel pump a matter of weeks ago, I was concerned it was that again. The car cranked over and started, but shut off right away...so the pump is functioning. The temp gauge was buried again, the smell came back, but stronger (to the point my eyes were watering and I couldn't breathe). When I checked the oil (which I had just changed last weekend, the oil was fine, but the dipstick was so hot, I burned my finger. The radiator coolant level is down, but I can see it. The reservoir is practically full and the top radiator hose was shriveled. When I opened the radiator cap, there was a sucking sound the the top hose went back to normal.

SO...from what I'm thinking, this sounds to me like a blown head gasket? Anyone else have other idea's?

As a side note, I have a set of ZZP 105# springs that I sold (and subsequently then bought back from GTPWolf) that were never installed. Since I'm probably going to be taking off the one side, should I "invest" in some rockers and titanium retainers and do both sides? Also, since the one side is going to be off, should I do both sides put in larger exhaust valves?

Any other ideas as to what I should do -OR- what the problem with my car could be?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
it was dieing due to a protection mode in the pcm i beleive to prevent it from serious damage due to overheating, it sounds like maybe your tstat was or is stuck closed if you have a decent amount of antifreeze in the car but its still getting that hot, the loss of coolant im not sure on if its not in the oil and not in the exhaust i wouldnt think its a head gasket, are you sure your bleeding out the system all the way?

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I thought I was, but I was told by a local mechanic to add antifreeze and open the valve on the waterneck until it starts to seep out of the neck...that I might have air locked the heater core. However, he also stated it sounded like the start of a blown head gasket.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
It's very likely you have a small court link from the lower I am gasket into the engine...

I have no idea what you said there. If you meant to type, "It's very likely you have a small coolant leak from the lower IM gasket into the engine..."

I just replaced the heater core last February, and I'm leaving work early so I'll see if I can take a gander at the LIM gasket tonight. I've been reading up and it could also be a leak between the 1st and 2nd ports, going in betw. the UIM and LIM. We'll see what it is soonly.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
sorry bud im on my phone through the day so those of you looking for help are gonna have to deal with fat thumbs and horrible voice to text translation of automotive jargon

now also keep in mind i have seen external coolant leaks at the rear engine cover, however its difficult to detect without uv dye and a fluorescing light up from the bottom of the bellhousing with the flexplate cover removed.

tb gasket is the easiest to check/replace and cheap, plus i bet its rock hard anyways so a new one is called for anyways. plus if you have to do the lim gaskets you dont have to remove the tb to pull the upper intake just pull em together.

check your heater core tube hoses for leaks , hopefully they didnt get overtightened with worm gear clamps and distort the tubes, or the hose settled and you just need a 1/4 turn to reseal em.

god i fucking lloooove fullsize keyboards

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
No heat from the heater means its low on coolant. Did you check that?

Coolant is always low. Every time I check the radiator, I have to add either water or antifreeze. The problem is, the reservoir is OVER full, so the system isn't drawing the coolant back in once it's heated. There is a slight vacuum in the cooling system, but not enough to suck the water-or whatever-back in. There is a leak somewhere when the car is hot-which pushes steam and coolant out. Once it cools enough, the leak seals itself and may draw some fluid back, but sucks in more air through the leak.

i.e. drawing in which ever has less resistance...which would obviously be air.

Yeah I meant coolant
it's pretty common for coolant to leak to the adjacent intake port

I did a Google search and saw what is most likely the problem.

Your probable the TB gasket could also be leaking coolant into the intake
the paper gaskets love to crack and deteriorate with age

Worth a check! THANKS!

Thread Info