3800 97 GTP trans problem

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
So, i have my project GTP that I put the motor in and everything was looking good. The motor started up and nothing was leaking. This is an aftermarket trans if that means anything; the car goes in reverse and drive BUT when Im driving it, it wont shift out of 1st gear. Is there maybe something that needs to be connected? Is the trans bad? Is there anything I can test? HELP!

Car.jpg

Last edited:

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
No its not the trans...this was my car. it was my DD up until the day the engine blew. The trans was the best thing on the car it was built and was only about a year and a half old.

Like I told him already, its most likely a vacuum line or possibly a PCM issue. I had it happen to me once before messing around under the hood. knocked a vacuum line off and the trans wouldnt shift. The car is a 97 and hes using a newer engine in it which had a different vacuum setup, he is also using my old 97 PCM because its been programed with the 3.29 gears and stall. But the engine is a newer engine so im not sure if that is making a difference either. Maybe the codes are different and the pcm isnt getting the info to change gears....maybe the speed sensor is different. could be alot of things now that I think of it.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
vac line wouldn't do that....

Could be a TPS issue, or a shift solenoid, those are probably most likely culprits.

some 97's had a vacuum diaphragm on the front, if that isn't connected it will cause issues.....IIRC, it will be pressure issues.....

If it helps, when I unplug my TPS the car doesn't shift out of 1st, try a different TPS

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
some 97's had a vacuum diaphragm on the front, if that isn't connected it will cause issues.....IIRC, it will be pressure issues.....

If it helps, when I unplug my TPS the car doesn't shift out of 1st, try a different TPS

That's only the case on 97 GT's and SE's that had the 4T60E which is vacuum modulated.

If this is a GTP, and has a 4T65E, there will be no vacuum actuation in the trans.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info