3800 Radiator Fan Assembly differences

Alright so my headers are touching the drivers side fan and its smoking, so I'm expecting it to melt rather quickly.

From what I hear, the LS4 fans and 2.5 inches thinner than the impala fans. Anyone know if this is true, or if there are other assemblies I can swap out that would allow for more clearance?

I'm not sure if header wrap would drop the outside temp enough to not melt the fan housing, never used header wrap before..any input?

I've talked to four impala owners who have had the same problem. From what I understand its very common for the impala. I'm thinking the fan assembly is thicker for some reason.

There is plenty of room between the header and plastic, but it touches the metal backside of the motor, on the driver's side

The impala has very thick fan assembly, maybe 97-03 fan assembly is smaller as well? Damn impala's....

I have the speed daddy headers, the SLP knock off's,...that could be part of it. Morad wants 135 bucks for LS4 fan assembly..yeah right..

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I had shorter dogbones on, swapped them out for stock today, didn't make much of a difference though.

EDIT 2: Another guy said his are about a finger width away, same brand, and one of the previous guys said he replaced his motor mount and it gave him a little bit of clearance.

EDIT 3: SO i'm looking at pics online..it looks like just about ANY fan assembly except the one I have will work. For some reason the motor on the back of mine sticks out about 3-4 inches. The guy (from edit 2) send me a pic, and his is close on the pass side. He has an 04 SS, and the fan assembly looks different. I'm gonna do some measuring, and probably hit the junkyard this week after the trans is done.

Anybody got a 3800 fan assembly laying around they would take a few bucks for? (cough James? lol)

Let it hit. Our cut that part of the far support out. Nfg racing

That was my initial though, except its smoking a lot and just melting the fan assembly. 1 guy had to replace his fans because it melted the motor.

If it was the plastic part I'd just cut it out, but its the metal motor itself hitting, can't exactly just cut it apart lol

The car isn't moving right now anyways until the trans is done, so I'm gonna worry about it next week. I'll probably just hit up a yard and grab a set of an 04+. It looks like the motors on that are a lot thinner than 00-03 are.

I'll be researching online to see if swapping it is an easy cure. I might just take a BFH and smash in the metal a bit (if i take it off and deem that feasible without ruining the motor lol) I really just need like 1 inch clearance. I'll either end up modding it somehow or swapping.

Damn impalas

01abboud

Not quite as new here...
Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria, VA
My SLPs are pretty close to my fans... I had to take off the little metal shield on mine, because it was rubbing. That said, look at your lower mounts... that can make a huge difference. Worked on a friend's car, put on speeddaddy headers, constantly rubbed the fan (also an 01, so same setup)... swapped out the lower mounts, no rubbing.

Yeah, to make it even more of a pain in the ass, those o4-05 fans are different than the 00-03.

If you look at his pics, his are hitting on the passenger side fan. My pass side fan has plenty of clearance, but the drivers side sticks out farther and is touching the headers. Basically right underneath the dogbone. I'll snap some pics in the AM too.

Everyone I have talked to (with impalas) said they have touched, or been incredibly close to touching. the 04+'s touch on pass side, and 00-03 touch drivers side lol

EDIT: Just noticed the forum name, I know who he is from naioa.com lol

0GBlown

Regular
Oct 13, 2011
SouthEast
i had same problem when i put on my zzp headers switched to ls4 fans but i had to cut part of it because the novi sits so close to it. didnt like how it look even though it was very effective at keeping the car cool so i put on slim fans. I should got bigger slim fans temps are about 2-3 degrees higher than the ls4 fans

0GBlown

Regular
Oct 13, 2011
SouthEast
be4adyre.jpg
ury3ezy5.jpg

if your interested

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info