info on riveria

Cutie_M69

Ooo, Peice of Candy!
Dec 1, 2007
Marseilles, IL
I am looking at buying a Riveria. However it needs a fuel pump and I don't know if everything else is working properly Bc it doesn't start or drive. The guy is asking 1000 but I was thinkingiit's worth more like 800. Any ideas on if this would be a smart investment or not, and if the work needed would be easy to do. Don't know what year it is or How many miles are on it yet.any advice is welcome

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I would hesitate at buying any non running car. Sellers ALWAYS underestimate what's wrong with the car they are selling.

The car is worth around $400 to him from a junkyard so that gives you a bottom line number for what he might accept.

If you pay $800 and another couple hundred (or more) for a fuel pump and the car runs fine, great. You are ahead of the game. If, however, you spend $800, another couple hundred (or more) for a fuel pump and then find the engine is not running or running badly, you are stuck with having to put in more money or sell the car for less than you paid.

You mention not knowing the year or mileage. I'd do a lot more research and look at a lot more cars before deciding on one.

Post whatever happens in my used car thread if you have the time. I'm trying to make that thread a good resource for anyone looking for a less expensive used car and your experiences would help.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/car-discussion/127798-best-used-car-under-$7k.html

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
be very carefull....

i had a customer that bought a truck "needing a fuel pump" but it ran spraying ether into the motor.... paid 2000$

guy had unplugged the fuel pump at the tank and only after pulling putting it on the ground and trying to back out of the bay we found the trucks trans was shot :rofl:

charge the battery or bring your own to toss in the back seat and bring a full can of flammable spray to at least see if it runs and try to drive it

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
be very carefull....

i had a customer that bought a truck "needing a fuel pump" but it ran spraying ether into the motor.... paid 2000$

guy had unplugged the fuel pump at the tank and only after pulling putting it on the ground and trying to back out of the bay we found the trucks trans was shot :rofl:

charge the battery or bring your own to toss in the back seat and bring a full can of flammable spray to at least see if it runs and try to drive it

James do you have a good stocker? I go over by marselles to see my mom once a week I could throw a fuel pump in it so you can test drive it and see what else is wrong with it

Cutie_M69

Ooo, Peice of Candy!
Dec 1, 2007
Marseilles, IL
To be honest a friend of mine delivers Chinese food in Ottawa and it's a customer who orders regularly. So I saw it today and it needs a new bumper n grill (looks like a chick drove it into shit) but the body has very little rust and I was honestly going to offer the guy 600 for it up front and if all that was wrong with it is the fuel pump go back n give him another 200. But if it's more than that at least I got it for a decent price. And if it is all that then he gets 800 for it n it's a win all around. I plan on getting more info on the car either tomorrow or the next day. Any advice on if it's a good dd would be helpful as Well. Or any lil things to look for. Thanks in advance, and Ryan go jump off a bridge

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
:popcorn:

a7uva5yq.jpg

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Here is a brief list of Buick Riviera's by year:

1994 - 2000 Riviera:
15092.jpg

1989 - 1993 Riviera:
3-20-12-012.jpg

1986 - 1988 Riviera:
1988BuickRivieraT-Type.jpg

*** The only real difference between the 1988 and 1989 model is the back portion of the car (tail lights and rear bumper) and redesigned headlights.***

1979 - 1985 Riviera:
7th-Buick-Riviera-1.jpg

I'm hoping for YOU that it is the newest generation of Rivieras, because I think those are really cool looking. Plus, they could come with the supercharged 3800 engine, which will give you power and gas mileage. The interiors in the '93's - 00's are really comfy too! My mother had a 1990 and the only major problem she had was rust in the rear quarter panels. I hated working on it because the rear brake calipers were VERY testy. It required you to turn the caliper piston in, while compressing.

Another thing which was a problem area was the drivers side door. The body warped over time and the door was rubbing on the drivers side fender. You couldn't see it, unless you opened the door. Also, there was some body flex and when you went to drive, sometimes there was a noise, which was the result of this body flex, that came from the front floor boards.

At the time, I didn't have the proper tool and I wound up replacing the caliper, 2X. However, this wasn''t a big deal once I got the right tool to turn the pistons back in. This was a GREAT car and the interior was extremely comfortable. The only problem with all of these Riviera's is trying to find body / interior parts once they go bad OR if you get into an accident. I've had decent luck with eBay (had to get my mother a new rear view mirror switch, which was pretty pricey-from what I recall).

Still, if you ABSOLUTELY have to have this car, lowball the guy!!! If he takes it, and you have a laundry list of repairs, then you are only saving yourself $$$ in the long run. Save yourself some $$$ though and really look the car over. Check the pinch welds under the area of the drivers side door and look to see if there are any repairs to this area. If there are, I wouldn't touch the car unless a respectable body guy looked the car over.

The problem here is, if the car was weak and someone basically slathered some Spackle over the car and made it look pretty, the car could buckle and total itself under hard braking --OR-- during a collision. The last place you want to be is between the area where there is a weak point. I.E., sitting in a seat with your legs strewn across the floor.

The later versions of the Rivera had this problem engineered out...which is also why I'm hoping this is like a '96 or newer car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info