Transmission shops near Orland Park/Car Problems

Well, trans threw P1811 code like 4 years ago and I knew it was a matter of time before it was fully shot. (Fluid was pretty burnt back then). I changed the filter and fluid and said I'd just drive it till it dies.

Today, trans is slipping BAAAAAAD. Feels like I'm doing a burnout every stop sign at 2k RPM's lol. Threw a P0742 code today too. It's mostly in 1st but still slipping into 2nd. 3-4 seems fine.

Wondering if there's any recommendations for shops around my area. New Lenox/Orland Park area.

Side note/other problems, shortly after my header install I got a few codes:
P0134
P0135
P0171

I highly doubt an o2 problem is related to the trans, but I'd like input from some of you 3800 guru's. And, any idea what the cause of these three codes is? Sounds like the heater isn't working to me.

I'm replacing the radiator this week when it warms up a bit, and trying to get these problems all taken care of so the car can still be a reliable DD for another 1-2 years.

Alright, I'll grab a new o2 sensor tmrw from autozone or something and throw that in there first. Radiator is the next step.

Then I'll tackle the trans issue. My parents used TRS Automotive off southwest highway for a transmission in an older van and they said they might be more expensive but they did good work. Gonna call that place monday for a quote and see if I can get a partlist of everything being replaced and if it has a warranty, etc.

Still looking for other recommendations as well or if anyone has anything to say about TRS as well.

The problem with the junk yard trans is 1, I could be throwing in a trans and have it shit out in 6 months, and 2 I really don't have the time to do a trans swap right now.

I'm full-time applying for jobs. I would love to just drive to Dave at TEP and have him do it, but 2g-2500 plus the time to drive there and back is kind of out of the question right now being unemployed. I'd rather borrow 1500 from my parents and get something with a warranty.

Just because I'm unemployed doesn't mean I sit around doing nothing. I fill out applications for about 6 hours a day, I have to workout every day as part of my job hunting, so there's 7 hours a day 5 days a week, plus a few hours each day on the weekends.

Not to mention I run a side business (twistedsoundco) doing audio installs and such and that's always a few hours a week, sometimes more.

Why buy a junkyard trans for 350, spend 10 hours swapping it, just to have it fail in a year and have to deal with it a second time. The rate that these crap transmissions fail at, I don't want to rely on a junkyard trans. As I stated, I can borrow money from my parents for a GOOD rebuild and a warranty. This car is still going to be my DD for at least another year, if not two.

I've done my fair share of work on cars, but I've never done a trans swap and in my current situation, I'm not sure it's a project I want to take on right now. I may consider doing it myself after I call around and get some quotes, but if I do, I'm either having TEP ship me one, or I'll get a core and do a complete rebuild myself and swap that in. If it's getting fixed, it's getting done right. lol

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I don't know if you already moved forward with your trans rebuild but I remember seeing the below post on another 3800 forum and I read great post about his service but never used him myself. I emailed him a few times and he is responsive to questions:

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but definately not to this community. I use to be with Intense Racing and since then I've went out on my own.

I'm offering my 4t65e transmissions to this community. My transmissions start at a stock rebuilt trans with all new clutches, seals, pistons, electronics, valve body updates, hardened 4th hub for $1250 and I offer the 300m input shaft upgrade for $425 and also 7/8 gear set your choice of 2.93, 3.29, 3.69 ratio for $250, stock reman convertors for $125 and aftermarket stalls for $375.

Shipping is $150 to business or depot or $200 to home address. Installation is available at my shop in Dayton, Ohio along with all other performance or non performance services.

If you have any question feel free to email me at [email protected]. My name is Tim King

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info