Fuel Gauge Problem

02 Impala LS

Low fuel warning came on, drove around for 10 minutes or so. Stopped, shut the car off for about 5. Fired it back up. Low fuel warning came back. Drove for another 10 minutes. Gauge shot up to 1/4 tank while driving. Slowly dropped to 1/8. When I arrived at the gas station, it dropped and low fuel warning came on again. DTE also reflected a change to 180 miles and back down to Low. Usually when I get the low fuel warning, DTE will just say "Lo" but it kept giving me a number between 21mi-35mi (this was after I shut it off and fired it back up, but before it jumped to 1/4 tank). DIC said I used 13.1G, but filled at 15.7G. Its a 17 gallon tank.

Embarrassed, but in January I ran out of fuel, and the DIC only said I used approx 15G...

Help? And don't tell me to fill up sooner!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I would fill up per mileage, around 270-280 miles you should be looking for a gas station. At least for the time being, until you figure that out. My friend did that in his impala for the entire 6yrs he owned it because the gas gauge was always wrong.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
fuel level sending unit. it's a stupid easy fix. did mine in fifteen minutes. there's a hatch in your trunk held shut by some bolts. take those off, pull the hatch, twist your fuel pump out of the tank slowly as to not spill fuel everywhere, unclip the old sender, re-clip new one, carefully worm back into tank, seal, bolt up, and you're good to go.

go on rockauto. find your year/engine subcategory, get the fuel level sending unit. if you need help, i'm sure brian can help ya. but it's soooo easy. it's a 30 dollar part.

here's old vs new.

16289d1291596776-fuel-level-sending-unit-dsc00187.jpg

that's how it works. floats up and down on a potentiometer and tells the gauge how full you are.

here's the part.

k07003_primary.jpg

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
and if you don't wanna do that.. use your driver info center in the cieling.

reset your meters every fill up. don't forget you have a 17 gallon tank. use your "fuel used" and refill at 10 gallons used to be safe. that's what i did for two years because the fuel level sending units weren't available without buying a $300+ pump and i didn't really give a fuck enough to buy a whole pump. when they became available more widely (sender only) i did it.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Embarrassed, but in January I ran out of fuel, and the DIC only said I used approx 15G...

:mamoru:

I would fill up per mileage, around 270-280 miles you should be looking for a gas station. At least for the time being, until you figure that out. My friend did that in his impala for the entire 6yrs he owned it because the gas gauge was always wrong.

I don't think I've ever gotten that kinda mileage range in a 3800, N/A or supercharged :rofl: :fu:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info