So I need a new windshield!

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
So my windshield has a nice hairline crack running through the bottom of it and I don't trust it. I need to have it replaced. Normally, id just call a local shop and have them come out and fix it, which is not a problem. What I really would like to do though is with the windshield removed, remove the HUD board and re-solder the area that supposedly comes loose. Right now, during the day the HUD is barely visible, but at night it is fine.

Also, what would you guys recommend? Should I go new or should I try to save some cash and look for a used one? I did have someone come out a year back and fill in a bullseye crack, and he said that because of the HUD, the windshield is special and actually is more expensive than a normal one. Is this true?

Does anyone have a used one around and would want to open the dash to remove the HUD unit? I tried it once with the windshield in and it was a PITA. I couldn't do it :(

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
whats sketchy about windshield removal is how they do it- if you have a car you liek- i'd be really careful about just calling a random place...

they typically wind up scratching the paint with their saws beneath the windshield- then if any water comes in contact with here- it rusts and creates much bigger problems down the road.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
whats sketchy about windshield removal is how they do it- if you have a car you liek- i'd be really careful about just calling a random place...

they typically wind up scratching the paint with their saws beneath the windshield- then if any water comes in contact with here- it rusts and creates much bigger problems down the road.

hmmm good advice. Ill keep an eye out

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Why did you write 'So' in the thread title and at the beginning of the text?

Are you a 9 year old girl?

90% of the time you post, I picture this is how you likely look in front of your phone or computer:

o5YYq17.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info