Are there any differences betw. the 3800: L67, L36 and L26 heads?

Are there any differences between the L67, L36 and L26 heads?

• Yes!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no idea, but good question!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Lulz Thread rules!

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I figured someone out there could tell em the difference.

I was reading on FTV6, some guy (Angry Bird) was rebuilding his N/A 'Bird. He decked the L67 heads he had and had all sorts of problems with push rods and valves. He said his cam bolt wasn't tight and effed his Cam and cam key.

Here's a link to the thread: ---> (Project Angry Bird)

I have a set of L67 heads that I started hand polishing after reading GTPower's Thread: ---> (Ported Head Thread), I stopped. I don't want to bend a bunch of pushrods and snap valves if the heads are a different design. Honestly, I think it was more because the heads were decked, then anything else...but I would be a complete newb when it comes to this.

Any help, advice, criticism or the likes would be appreciated. Jokes (depending on application) may be appreciated as well.

Lastly, I want to say I have gotten more good advice and read more about what to do/NOT to do with a 3800 on this forum, than ANY other. It just shows the caliber of knowledge you guy's have.

Thanks in advance!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
l67 heads have injector bungs in the heads l36/26 dont, you have to use different intakes and fuel rails depending on what heads you have or had, other than that not really other than years and casting numbers james knows all about that, but yeah if you deck the heads too much you would have to run different length pushrods it depends on the cam lobe circle and the amount decked off the head and or thickness of the head gasket

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
unless you have early 2261 junk youll likely have 4781 castings with injector holes, valvetrain is identical. if he bent pushrods and valves he setup his chain wrong or screwed something up

be carefull how you tighten the cam bolt
an impact can be easier on the keyway than a large tqwrench with the flexplate held. its smarter to hold the cam gear with a spanner

Thread Info