Am I running out of injector?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Finally got my 04 Comp G running decent....had a clogged cat. But, I did some scanning, and my injector duty cycle reaches 106% at 5500 rpms, where it shifts. Is it possible that it's already out of injector? Or would a failing fuel pump or restrictive fuel filter be more likely? Not sure how much power these can make with the stock returnless fuel system.

Mods are:
XPZ
Ported heads
L26
3" catless downpipe.

Everything else is completely stock, including the supercharger pulley. Stock injectors, stock wiring...the car has 108k miles, and it sat for 2 years without running/moving.

I didn't have the wideband hooked up, or a fuel pressure gauge. My MAF was showing a little over 10k hz at the shift, and 30.8lb/min. Narrowband O2 is sticking in the 900's at WOT.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
yeah prolly out of injector, the returnless can be made to make decent power but it takes more pump than a return system does, if your just running gas and not e85 you could prolly get away with a rewire and some 42's, i had to run 42's with just an s1x cam and headers and a 3.2 pulley on my other car

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
What kinda setup is that? Unless you are going for the "stock" type deal. Get some headers and injectors on that car. XPZ and stock injectors, yeah Id say you are running out of injector. Also change the fuel filter anyway, you should do it every year. Cheap insurance. If you are doing any sorta tuning get a wideband. You probably know this already.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
i used the adapters on my 06' my current car has the ev6 injectors, i eventually went with 65's and e85 on the 06' and when i did that i also went with the ev6 injectors a rewire and a walbro 255

Hmmm...ok. I think I'll probably just get some 60's with EV6 connectors. Not planning on running E85 anytime soon, but there is good chance I'll intercool it. How far will the factory fuel pump take me?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
What kinda setup is that? Unless you are going for the "stock" type deal. Get some headers and injectors on that car. XPZ and stock injectors, yeah Id say you are running out of injector. Also change the fuel filter anyway, you should do it every year. Cheap insurance. If you are doing any sorta tuning get a wideband. You probably know this already.

Screw headers....I'm sick of exhaust leaks. This is my daily...I'm enjoying a nice, quiet car for a change.

I agree the fuel filter needs to be changed. Just haven't done it yet because no local parts stores stock it. I'll just have to order one.

It just blows my mind that I'm maxing injectors with a stock pulley. I have stock injectors in my 01.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Hmmm...ok. I think I'll probably just get some 60's with EV6 connectors. Not planning on running E85 anytime soon, but there is good chance I'll intercool it. How far will the factory fuel pump take me?

i was 280whp on the stock pump set up with no rewire, you could maybe squeak 300 or a little more out of it with a good rewire

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
check with a wideband but you may be rich

the stock manifolds and a stock pulley would suggest that your not too far off oem airflow numbers so you should be ok.

narrowbands can read from mid 800's to mid 900's
they are lousy at measuring anything other than stoich

That is what I was hoping for. Maybe if I feel ambitious tonight, I'll toss in the wideband and see where it's really running at.

Do you know of a good pressure sender (for fuel) so I could just hook it up to inputs on the tuner? Probably don't need a gauge for this car, but it would be alright just to see where it's at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info