Double Rollmaster Install

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Any trick to getting this thing on all the way?

This is as far as it wants to go. It feels like the cam is slightly too big.

2012-11-28_23-27-50_824.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the cam snout dia is slightly larger as you get closer to the cams thrust plate step.

also when they cut the keyways it leads to a good bit of deformation of the cam and crank gear ID bore so youll want to spend a bit of time with crocus cloth or small files. its more than enough to put TIR over .003

also lots of burrs in the tooth area that would be good to knock down wth a mini file to prevent sending that trash through the motor/pump and wear the chain faster.

its like 74ftlbs plus 90* iirc
for the 90* turn i mark the bolt and gear 90* apart (middle of cam bolt flat to the corner adjacent), mark my impact socket then i use my impact to hammer it over the 90* while holding the chain/cam gear with my other hand to try and dampen the hammering the chain see's

it also keeps you from shearing/walking the cam's keyway over as most lock the crank then tighten by hand wich can move the gear on the cam

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Ok. At least nothing is screwed up. I tried it with the stock sprocket and cam, and this is about as far as it would go too.

I was thinking of just hitting it with some emery cloth.

I didn't look too closely at the tooth area, but I will make sure to check that and clean it up tonight....good idea.

Thanks for the help.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Maybe a stupid question, but you know the cam moves forward and backward a little without the cam sprocket bolted on right? Try putting the cam bolt on like 4 threads and pulling it out while pushing on the sprocket. Just a thought.

It wouldn't go. I took a picture with my good camera that shows what the problem was....not sure if it had something to do with this cam having a JP timing set on it for 30k miles. But, I had to use a file on it.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
i dont see a pic but im gonna guess the keyway stretched in the came nose?

its one reason i like to use the impact method

even durring the inital 74ftlb tqing people will hold the crank still and the gear will spin just enough to tilt the key over and mushroom the slot

I'll have to grab it off my camera...forgot it at my shop.

The gear caused the cam snout to "mushroom"....I'm not sure how well the picture will be able to show it, but I could easily feel it with my fingernail.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
oh and for those of you reading this in the future....

as soon as you pull the timing or rear cover off, carefully spray a rag with brake clean and wipe around the oil galley hole and oil pickup hole (wipe away fromt he holes!) and tape over em (you can tape directly to the gasket remnants temporarily)

it'll help keep all the crap outta them as you scrape gaskets/etc.

once you get it so no debris can fall into the holes, then pop off the tape and scrape the gasket around them making sure to keep it out of there, use a piece of notebook paper to fish/sweep out any bits of gasket/grit, wipe the block face once more with brake cleaner then tape over it one last time (you can be cool and cut a circle around it then peel the excess tape away)

once its all ready to go tofether and your ready to install the gasket/cover just peel em off and slide the gasket on and enjoy the peace of mind from not lunching bearings

i tend to keep the motors cleaner than i do myself...but thats cause i love em more
IMG_0283.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info