Problems with maf sensor

Im having issues with my maf sensor loosing signal. I will be driving along and it will drop out to 0 and then start reading again.

Backround story, i put my maf on my sisters car when hers went out. I purchased one off Clubgp from a memeber and when it came in it read 0. The seller sent me another maf and that one worked for a while then started reading 0. I then replaced the 12" of harness and plug and bought another used maf off clubgp. it ran fine for a few days and then started doing the dropping to 0 and then reading again.

I checked the fuse last night and it was fine. I replaced it anyways. Car did the same thing.

I traced the wire back to the pcm and everything looked good.

Checked the pink wire and got 13.2
Checked the yellow wire and got 4.9
This was checked against the maf ground wire.

If I wiggle the plug around in the maf sensor I can make the signal drop to 0 and then start working again.

My question is, Can a maf sensor really do this, just be working then stop working and start working again? Maybe from shipping. Its almost like there is something loose inside that if I move the plug that it causes it to loose signal.

My sister moved to Kentucky so I dont have a maf that is proven good to install at this point.

And where can I get a new Maf sensor that is quality?
There is a junk yard that has a few stock used ones.

Any help is appreciated.

This is on a 99 Grand Prix 155000 miles on it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the connectors female terminals need to have the banana spring bent out to grab the pins tighter. a thin sewing needle is all thats needed

but often people dont properly plug and unplug those sensors so they break the internal board connections.

youll notice that if you lift up on the connector section of the sensor (not the plug) the motor will stall/stumble/dropout but if you lightly push down it'll run fine

ive temporarily fixed more than a few of these cars by just running a ziptie around the TB and lightly tightening it to hold the connector downward and keep the board to pin contacts touching.

check if you get dropouts on the o2/map/tps/etc as those are fed off the same power circuit so a wriing fault/internal short on one of them can affect the maf.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list