3800 Swapped Motrs - Need CASE Learn...I think.

Swapped Motrs - Not starting - Crank pulley problem?

i just replaced my L67 bottom end with an L36 from Morad. Built everything from the bottom up perfectly. It's not an "I don't have spark or fuel" issue. This has got to be electronic. Here's why...

We swapped over the harmonic balancer pulley in order to run the supercharger, and it cannot find the crank. The crank position sensor is good (I friggin hope), but it needs to learn what's going on.

I need a local guy with an autotap (or whatever works these days) to help me out. The car is outside the garage in Wauconda. It's just East of 12 on Bonner (so you get an idea of where things are). I worked all friggin day yesterday, and when it was finally ready to go, after pulling the alternator and heater hoses to fix a leaks....twice, I go to start it and it cannot. It's got fuel, it's got spark, it's got air.

Cliffs:
Replaced bad L67 bottom end with L36. Swapped over harmonic balancer pulley. Air, Fuel and spark OK. No start. Harmonic balancer swap could be the problem?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...and financially compensated.

Blake

Last edited:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
both dhp, hpt and a snapon red brick (mt2500/solus) can do case learns... talk to any local shop with one and they can help ya.

but i gotta say i have yet to have a 3800 not run just because of a lack of a case learn...the case learn is primarily for timing variances and knock detection... not likely to keep ya from driving it...just dont beat on it (just ask darkshadow he drove his a while before it had the case learn done)

so you have spark, and your getting both fuel pressure and injector pulse and it is cranking over right? just not starting/running?

07gxpgray

Jackson
Nov 6, 2008
Peoria, IL
Real Name
Chad Jackson
both dhp, hpt and a snapon red brick (mt2500/solus) can do case learns... talk to any local shop with one and they can help ya.

but i gotta say i have yet to have a 3800 not run just because of a lack of a case learn...the case learn is primarily for timing variances and knock detection... not likely to keep ya from driving it...just dont beat on it (just ask darkshadow he drove his a while before it had the case learn done)

so you have spark, and your getting both fuel pressure and injector pulse and it is cranking over right? just not starting/running?

x2 i am not very knowledgeable in this department...but the case learn should not prevent you from driving the car....still should fire up and everything.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
...just dont beat on it (just ask darkshadow he drove his a while before it had the case learn done)

Not gonna lie, i beat the shit out of it 1 or 2 times without a case learn and no kaboom. (i do not condone these actions tho, your mileage may vary)

I did notice tho that after the case learn it did cruise more smoothly, before you could feel the slightest of variance in the rpm/power at hwy speeds in 4th

Okay, I am mistaken. I spoke with Nick (alacran on clubgp & maybe on here too) and I mentioned the crank pulley swap I had to do. He mentioned that I may not have aligned the crank pulley correctly with the crank itself (key). So I'm going back Thursday night (I need a couple nights rest) to pull the pulley, make sure the crank key is still in good shape, and align it with the key & marks...or whatever I need to do.

It sounds like the motor can't turn over all the way because it sees the timing all out-of-whack from the HB dampener being in the wrong position on the crank. I'm hoping this will fix it.

Also, the vaccuum lines are good. We even upgraded the lines in certain spots. I'm not going to rule it out completely, but I don't think it's the source of the problem.

Keep the input coming! I'm learning a lot, AND learning that I'm never going to do this again. Pulling motors is only fun in RWD applications. FWD is a bitch.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
I just registered over here to post in here.

Blake, I know a guy in Dekalb that may be able to help with the CASE learn now that we got your engine running. Let me know if so we can meet up somewhere.

Also, talk to the technicians at the dealer b/c they know what a CASE learn is. Do not let them reflash the PCM, just a CASE learn. It takes 10 minutes to hook up start the engine and do the CASE learn. Thats what i had to do when i went to the dealer.

Nick

Last edited:

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
sounds like you have a bent fin on the balancer....

but if it sounds funny when cranking....i would check compression....you can't put the balancer on wrong. its either on, or its not. if its not on the keyway properly, it wont tighten down, and the belts wont fit correctly. you have fuel, spark, and air, you're missing compression. did you change the timing set? what heads did you use? maybe a bad valve from the blown engine before?

a case learn isnt your issue, but when you getting running, i can do a case learn for ya for free as well...

edit: also, if you go to the dealer, ask them for a crankshaft posistion sensor re-learn. thats the case learn

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info