3800 Al's 04 GP

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well its fixed no more clatter!

short story:
al buys 04 GP GT w 27k on the ticker (cheaper insurance and it has the ashtray!)
3 weeks later buys a gen5 for 400$ its goes downhill from there
yanked the l26 dropped in the motor destined for the 442 after we slapped the VS cam and blower on it tossed the PS'rs on it fer good measure.
valvetrain speed noise (yay!) after lots of $ in gaskets/etc trying to isolate/fix the noise, lifters, yada yadfa yada.

so al says fuckit, bought some parts including crow 105's and manley retainers...poly's etc. and were gonna toss the topend onto his L26 bottom. i was soo damn sure it was valvetrain related...it was at valvetrain speed but i figured i might be wrong, and what else was there to try...

while tearing down the L32 heads we found the problem... broken guide on #6 ex
brokenL32headvalveguide.jpg

grabbed another of our low mileage "in stock" heads and canibalized it :rofl:
did a kwik port to em cleaned em and dropped on the new seals/springs/retainers and L32 valves into the 01 head (4781 casting)
slammed home the VS cam, did some oiling work, ditched the 2.5 presson for a 3.8 mps and tossed it back into the car. started right up and once the lifters pumped up it was nice and quiet (as much as a cammed/header equipped 3800 can be lol)
some pics of how to notch/relieve the bores on an assembled shortblock
IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

notchedandunotched.jpg

so its back together less than 3k miles after he bought it i give you the "daily driver" :rollpicard:

mods
VS cam
kwik port heads, crow 105's, viton's, manley retainers
runner ported LIM with diverter, EGR filled, tb coolant delete & cut divider
OE gen5 with 3.8 mps (fer now)
12" K&N (gotta get the elbow and couplers for the 85mm maf to go on)
reworked PS'r headers (ported, egr assm delete, welded y/xover)
balance shaft delete by filling the rear cover Bal shaft bearing passage
oil filter bypass deleted, ported neck, ported SIII front cover pump passages
modified windage tray for better oil control
full poly Tq link bushings, poly trans mount (gotta make a poly front mount...way to much movement from the OE rubber mount...not good)

now it should stay this way for a while (for the most part :rofl:) so the 442 can get some lovin... i cant fault him he hardley ever gets to drive the 442 so i can figure he wants to have something fun to drive everyday...
sounds pretty good... now to tune for the l26 shorty...

04GPGTL26_L32topswapVSheaders3_8.jpg

ps a certain riv also passed emissions and now has legal tags... so if you see a beatup black riv with all sorts of noise eminating from it it might be eric burnin gas and tune'n her fat ass :roflpicard:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Nice work, maybe that's what's clicking over here as well.
if yer heads have been off the motor and dropped/tipped over onto a valvestem/spring or touched by miller then yeah its a possibility...
...i now know exactly what to look for, so at least something good came from this fairly rare failure... main lesson learned is teardown completly and inspect...our lazyness bit us in the ass bigtime...

so much for no mods...

those are the exact words his wife used...:rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
its still running great, al changed the filter in the lot at his work. so he's starting to get on it more and more for maf tuning.

its pulling a little since the 3.5 to 3.8 change but that was expected... even with the vac bbv only his fuel econ has already gone up ~2mpg...
i snagged a pcm connector from an 05 cobalt at the aurora yard so we now have the pins needed to add the second map sensor and the bbv wiring on al's car

he really misses the gen5 whine from the 3.5 :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
al's got some new stuff for it besides the COMP fuel pump and filters, moroso 11mm wires and the urethane front engine mount (gonna be allll urethane now lol) and a buncha stainless tubing/couplers to finally install the 85mm maf
Alsintaketubingandcouplers.jpg

he's decided he doesnt want the bbv solenoid, so thats staying vac operated, only need to wire in the baro sensor...so i now have 04+ pcm connectors and i guess at some point i can get going on building a 97-05 offboard.....someday lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info