No longer a Pontiac owner...

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Well, my life has changed greatly over 2012, which has led my priorities to change as well.

My son is now eight months old and I found out on my birthday last month that my wife is pregnant again. We did not plan for this to happen, but we are excited about it as we want two kids. Work has been extremely hectic, so what little free time I have goes to my wife/son.

On Friday, I had a buyer drive-up to pick-up the G8 from Orlando (site unseen and for my asking price) and yesterday I traded-in the GTP (165k and lots of issues). I bought a 2010 Mazda3 Sport Hatchback. It has some pep, looks decent, gets 30+ mpg, only has 29k miles, warranty for 3 more years/100k miles and best of all, it is paid off! It did come with bi-xenon projectors, moonroof, 10-speaker bose system, dual exhaust, etc.

I will save alot of $$$ each month by not having the G8 car payment, I will save on insurance (2 cars vs 3 cars) and I will save on gas with my long commute to work (vs GTP).

I plan on doing a few things to it over the next year to make it a bit more fun/better looking:

15% tint
3000k HID fogs
2012 Mazdaspeed3 LED tails
CAI
Axleback exhaust
Mazdaspeed3-type hood
Mazdaspeed3 wheels or something of a similar style

A few pics...

2010_mazda3.jpg

2010_mazda3-3.jpg

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Hey Mike...congrats on the new little one and the new Mazda. Hopefully we can get caught up on life at the holidays.

(Did you trade the GTP with the stereo equipment?)

We need to catch-up. I'll be in the Saturday before Christmas through the Saturday after Christmas.

I did trade it in with the stereo, but it had seen better days. The headunit no longer opens so you can't put in or remove a CD. One tweeter is blown and one 4" is blown. Also, the right side shorts out randomly and you won't get sound through the components. The only thing that has been very reliable is the sub.

The Mazda's stereo isn't bad. It's a 10 speaker Bose with 1" tweeters in the front (similar to the GTP), (4) 6.5" speakers (one in each door), 6x9s in the rear, but for the life of me I can't figure out the other two speakers unless they include the tweeter with the 6x9s.

b00ya

AHHHH!!
Jun 10, 2008
Aurora
Only 30mpg? I thought skyactive motors get 35-40 easily

Ive got a 2012 skyactiv with a 6spd manual and average is 38 mixed and high is 43 all highway.

Hope your baby isn't as big as my son is, hes 6 months old and is too big for the infant carrier so we have to have him in a rear facing regular car seat. The back seat is far to small and my wife has to sit damn near IN the dash for everyone to fit in my car. Other then that its been a great car so far, actually looking at getting another Mazda for my wife when we decide to get rid of the Honda odyssey

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Congrats on the incoming little guy(or girl)! That's a neat color. What was all wrong with the GTP?

Hmm... where to begin.

It needed struts/springs, left-front hub bearing, heat wasn't working (thinking blend door and not blower motor or resistor), ABS light was on (EBCM), clear coat peeling all-over, rust in the rear wheel well, shattered BT3200 fog, and it just rattled everywhere.

I plan to drive the crap out of this Mazda and then get a real nice DD or another toy in 5 years or so when I/we finally settle down somewhere.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Congrats on no car payment btw. It is an amazing feeling.

Ive got a 2012 skyactiv with a 6spd manual and average is 38 mixed and high is 43 all highway.

Hope your baby isn't as big as my son is, hes 6 months old and is too big for the infant carrier so we have to have him in a rear facing regular car seat. The back seat is far to small and my wife has to sit damn near IN the dash for everyone to fit in my car. Other then that its been a great car so far, actually looking at getting another Mazda for my wife when we decide to get rid of the Honda odyssey

Love the 6mt they put in this car. So very smooth. I will admit my biggest complaint is the rear seat room, luckily I don't drive people that often and those that I do don't have cars so no room to complain :drums:. Parents bought a cx-5 and it has me a little jealous except I wouldn't want to park that thing in the city.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info