what made you laugh today: 3800 version.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Almost certainly no. The gears are expensive to machine and the chain itself is absolutely ridiculous, even if you buy it in quantity.

Honestly though, we're not having issues with the 7/8th's chains. We've learned a lot over the years and much of what we learned is that we were running the transmissions to shift way harder than they needed to. 10 years ago your beginning mods were a 3.4 pulley, PCM, Intake plugs and thermostat and it was strongly suggested to get the shift kit too which most people would install at max firm and then combine with the raised shift pressure of the PCM.

So we had people with 3.4 setups breaking input shafts with regularity. How often do we see that now? It's almost unheard of.

The secret is to not jack up your shifting to neck snapping levels. I would have no reservations running a 400whp turbo setup on a stock transmission with stock shift firmness. You can get a lot of miles out of a setup like that. Fuck, Ron STILL has his stock transmission in his car and we all know how he beat the snot out of that.

The only area you really can't compensate for is launches at the track. If you're launching on slicks then you're going run into issues on a torque heavy car. Those are the cars that might need the 1" chain. For any kind of street car though, I'd go 2.93 7/8ths before I'd go 1".

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
My 7/8th chain has lasted longer than expected at 2k miles now but I really only get on it in 2nd gear so I don't spin the tires much, and it hasn't seen the track

I wouldn't even worry about spinning the tires... That's not what kills the chain. It's people that spin the tires and don't roll out of the spin gently... People that light em up and then just let off the throttle so they catch. That will have more of an affect on the chain.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Almost certainly no. The gears are expensive to machine and the chain itself is absolutely ridiculous, even if you buy it in quantity.

Honestly though, we're not having issues with the 7/8th's chains. We've learned a lot over the years and much of what we learned is that we were running the transmissions to shift way harder than they needed to. 10 years ago your beginning mods were a 3.4 pulley, PCM, Intake plugs and thermostat and it was strongly suggested to get the shift kit too which most people would install at max firm and then combine with the raised shift pressure of the PCM.

So we had people with 3.4 setups breaking input shafts with regularity. How often do we see that now? It's almost unheard of.

The secret is to not jack up your shifting to neck snapping levels. I would have no reservations running a 400whp turbo setup on a stock transmission with stock shift firmness. You can get a lot of miles out of a setup like that. Fuck, Ron STILL has his stock transmission in his car and we all know how he beat the snot out of that.

The only area you really can't compensate for is launches at the track. If you're launching on slicks then you're going run into issues on a torque heavy car. Those are the cars that might need the 1" chain. For any kind of street car though, I'd go 2.93 7/8ths before I'd go 1".

Id also add that launching off the converter is an easier launch on the hard parts than just stabbing the throttle from idle, it pre-loads all the drive parts against the brakes so it is less of an impact/load spike when you start moving.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
my chain is for sure fucked then.

As silly as it sounds, if I did a burn out in my car, I'd ride it out and just lightly let up on the throttle so it would eventually spin down and catch gently. Sometimes you need to commit to a burnout a little longer than you'd like to but whatevs. That's what the kids say. Whatevs.

Id also add that launching off the converter is an easier launch on the hard parts than just stabbing the throttle from idle, it pre-loads all the drive parts against the brakes so it is less of an impact/load spike when you start moving.

Yes, absolutely. There's a lot that can be done to avoid hard part damage... lighter, smaller wheels, smaller rotors, 2.93 gear set and a higher stall for the street would delay a little of the initial drivetrain shock if you just goose it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info