3800 Moonshine

Larz01

Minnesota Mojo
Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
2012-10-22180542.jpg

It been about a month now, and my 3800 decided to make a little less than 2shots of moonshine per week. About 10oz. 3800 moonshine/apple pie/piss on the left and drink water on right showing contrast.

It appears my catch can setup is working well (danm it fills fast), since this was collected. Now that winter/freezing conditions are approaching, should one be of concern that the catch can could freeze up, blocking pcv function? Are people ditching catch cans in winter and bypass them, or under the hood every week emptying the can? (I just put the 3800 moonshine in the freezer to see if it will freeze). Any input, suggestions lets hear them:rollpicard:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you do alot of short trips?

usually you catch more oil vapor than water vapor.

with the liquid in the bottom of the bowl it wont hurt anything as long as the level is below the coalescing filter element... and it should thaw out relativly quickly if your seperator is near the firewall

how is your system plumbed?

should be fresh metered air>crancase>pcValve>coalescing filter>intake plenum

if yours is upstream of the pcv on the fresh air side thats mostly water from the atmosphere and you need to fix the plumbing

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
tuck it against the firewall with the heater core hoses in front of it with a simple 90* or push button drain valve, try to drain it regularly but as the motor heats up the heater core stays at engine temp, this will heat the canister faster than just warm air

how far off the bottom is the siphon tube and is it on the inlet or the outlet?

part of the problem is that whole can is a nice, cooler than the engine condensation dream...the plastic bowl coalescing filters tend to let the heat evaporate the water but trap the liquid oil/hc's
how much oil % wise?

Larz01

Minnesota Mojo
Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
The picture is a mockup, I have the can behind the drivers headlight. Should probably move it back by the firewall, after seeing this.

The connections go down are about an inch from the top of the can. On the inlet side I added a hoes to go about halfway down the can, so it had time to condense, instead of getting sucked right out of the outlet. I have now removed this hose so if the fluid level gets up to it, the inlet doesn't become
blocked.

As for oil collected it must be very little just to give the slush a golden color, mostly water.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
got to the 180 or 195 tstat

people put too cold of tstats in em

adjust your fan on temps too

winter is a good time to blockoff 1/3rd of the radiator with a sheet of cardboard with a "handle" or flap sticking upward for easy removal.

yeah out front like that the can is never getting warm enough to prevent condensation and let the engine burn the moisture from cold rings blowing by

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info