3800 DHP vs HP Tuners

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I don't really want this to turn into a fight about which one is better. I know the answer already. What I really want to hear is a opinion from someone who has used both. I have gained alot of knowledge about the DHP software from my year or so of using it and don't really want it to be flushed down the toilet if I switch to HP Tuners. Im sure the tuning aspect is the same. What im looking for is how similar are they about making changes. The few people I talked to this say HP tuners is alot easier and user friendly to use. I also would like to just read my current bin into the HP tuner and edit it, I dont really want to make a new bin (or whatever HP tuners calls the PCM file) I assume HP tuner is also like DHP with importing tables. CSV's, etc, and I can use Eddies table modifier program again. Because that helps alot for maf tuning.

Nothing wrong with my DHP PT, besides a few software issues, that im sure are because of my setup not the hardware. The fact that the GP community is getting away from DHP makes me want to switch. I would also like something with support and updated version. HP Tuner also works with Vista!

I can get the standard version for $499 and the Pro $649. The only real reason I would get the pro is for wideband logging, but I was told u can do that with the standard version also with a workaround. Selling my DHP would give me a few hundred and possibly splitting the cost with a few people who also want to tune cars would probably cover the cost of the upgrade if you look from a investment standpoint.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You can log your wideband VIA the EGR. The other nice quirk about the pro version is the black box logging. You dont need your laptop to do a scan. Just plug the box in, hit record, and go along your merry way. The only thing I see nice about that is at tracks that dont want you to use a laptop in the car while going down the 1320. Those are usually few and far between, especially at our level.

You can probably use Eddies program, but HPT has built in shit to help you. Ive thought about jumping ship quite a bit, but $$$ is the issue. Even selling the PT at $300 you are gonna dump another $200 for the basic HPT. Its a gamble.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
used HPT's seem hard to find. I think if I was going to purchase one it would be new.

Get it from hptuners.com, don't order it from a reseller. I have 2 friends that ordered theirs from local shops and had to go through a whole bunch of shit before they could use it. All i had to do is get a stock pcm that wasn't locked and i was good to go. Took one of my friends over a month before they figured out everything. It's the same price IIRC so it's not worth the hassle.

I personally would take hpt over dhp, however my only experience with dhp was gtpmikes car and it took an hour to do a simple change to his car. When we got hpt hooked up and running on Sunday it took maybe 30min to get a really nice rough tune. It was night and day difference for sure, and the car is actually pretty fast now believe it or not, it pulls like a monster on the top end. Now my opinion IS bias towards hpt cause I'm not very familiar with dhp but even if i was, it wouldn't change. hpt>dhp all day.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I don't really want this to turn into a fight about which one is better. I know the answer already. What I really want to hear is a opinion from someone who has used both. I have gained alot of knowledge about the DHP software from my year or so of using it and don't really want it to be flushed down the toilet if I switch to HP Tuners. Im sure the tuning aspect is the same. What im looking for is how similar are they about making changes. The few people I talked to this say HP tuners is alot easier and user friendly to use. I also would like to just read my current bin into the HP tuner and edit it, I dont really want to make a new bin (or whatever HP tuners calls the PCM file) I assume HP tuner is also like DHP with importing tables. CSV's, etc, and I can use Eddies table modifier program again. Because that helps alot for maf tuning.

Nothing wrong with my DHP PT, besides a few software issues, that im sure are because of my setup not the hardware. The fact that the GP community is getting away from DHP makes me want to switch. I would also like something with support and updated version. HP Tuner also works with Vista!

I can get the standard version for $499 and the Pro $649. The only real reason I would get the pro is for wideband logging, but I was told u can do that with the standard version also with a workaround. Selling my DHP would give me a few hundred and possibly splitting the cost with a few people who also want to tune cars would probably cover the cost of the upgrade if you look from a investment standpoint.

I was going to move from DHP to HPT, but since I have my PCM bricking/writing issues fixed I decided to keep it. From what I've seen, HPT makes tuning much easier. With PT, you can make the same adjustments, but it takes longer given the clunky interface and spreadsheets and/or TableModifier. Besides, if you are going to use TableModifier, what's the difference? Your importing scan data and it's making the adjustments.

As for running the WB through the EGR, it's a big hassle Panda. There are spark correction timing tables you need to zero out that are not available in either tuning suite. Been there...done that a few months ago.

If I were to do it all over again, I would get the HPT Pro. However already owning the PT, the value prop to jump to HPT just isn't there for me. Also, with HPT PCM files are locked. With PT, they are still in raw binary format with no credit system to worry about.

As for the Vista issue, just get a small, dedicated laptop and run XP.

Personally, you have everything you need to learn to tune your car (PT, WB, UVScan, and TableModifier.) You just need to keep at it.

Save your money for a nitrous kit. :rofl:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I'd liken DHP to the retarded kid whose family you know. Their family is nice to you, so you buy their retarded kid's $1.00 glass of lemonade, when you could have bought a tasty Mountain Dew for half that price from the soda machine right next to you. Clearly the retarded offering is sub-par, but you support them because they're friendly. Only problem is the retard family packed up and moved away without a thank you or goodbye, and you're now left with your shitty lemonade.

Fuck DHP.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I'd liken DHP to the retarded kid whose family you know. Their family is nice to you, so you buy their retarded kid's $1.00 glass of lemonade, when you could have bought a tasty Mountain Dew for half that price from the soda machine right next to you. Clearly the retarded offering is sub-par, but you support them because they're friendly. Only problem is the retard family packed up and moved away without a thank you or goodbye, and you're now left with your shitty lemonade.

Fuck DHP.

Nice way to put it, but I think Panda is speaking as a current PT owner. Not someone who is looking to buy their first tuner. :hs:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Nice way to put it, but I think Panda is speaking as a current PT owner. Not someone who is looking to buy their first tuner. :hs:

I know, but there's simply no comparison, without support, DHP has no single advantage over HPT. The only thing they used to have going for them was their support for the 3800 market, but after charles walked out on it, they're basically worthless.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I know, but there's simply no comparison, without support, DHP has no single advantage over HPT. The only thing they used to have going for them was their support for the 3800 market, but after charles walked out on it, they're basically worthless.

I dont blame Charles though. Every event he was at, he was always working, while Dave and the rest of the DHP crew were having fun. He was hassled day and night over the most stupid and redundant things that could have either been answered on the PT forums, or by another DHP member. Locals were constantly by his house in the middle of the night sometimes. Myself included. He probably recieved alot of flack from the wife and family. Occasionally helping out is one thing. He put everyone in front of his family it seemed for quite awhile.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I dont blame Charles though. Every event he was at, he was always working, while Dave and the rest of the DHP crew were having fun. He was hassled day and night over the most stupid and redundant things that could have either been answered on the PT forums, or by another DHP member. Locals were constantly by his house in the middle of the night sometimes. Myself included. He probably recieved alot of flack from the wife and family. Occasionally helping out is one thing. He put everyone in front of his family it seemed for quite awhile.

I blame him for the WAY he went out, not that he got out of it.

Packing up the company, and making those who could have continued his work sign NDA's to keep them silent was a serious asshole move.
There are 1000 better ways to handle the situation, and few that would be worse.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I blame him for the WAY he went out, not that he got out of it.

Packing up the company, and making those who could have continued his work sign NDA's to keep them silent was a serious asshole move.
There are 1000 better ways to handle the situation, and few that would be worse.

true. I think if he was going to abandon the software/hardware he should release the code so other people can take over.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i wish i knew how to use either. haha. mat said my hpt looks pretty tho so maybe thats worth something... o and the pro panda, gets you that black box thing too where you dont need a computer to log it, you push a button on the box, and then hook the box up to your compoooter dude that tuned devins tbss has it. quite badass and i wish i woulda sacked up the extra dollas.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
i wish i knew how to use either. haha. mat said my hpt looks pretty tho so maybe thats worth something... o and the pro panda, gets you that black box thing too where you dont need a computer to log it, you push a button on the box, and then hook the box up to your compoooter dude that tuned devins tbss has it. quite badass and i wish i woulda sacked up the extra dollas.

few pounds you don't have to propel down the track for a run...

Plus, technically I don't believe NHRA tracks are supposed to allow any computers/laptops in the passenger cab during any sort of sanctioned event, so it's useful for that too.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
damn panda ya still have issues?

i dont know how ya'll have so many issues... with al's and eric's the most annoyed i get is every now and then a log glitch when using the spacebar start/pause...

pry the dhp from my cold dead fingers... its got its problems but what may be in store in the next few years is worth waiting fer....

i only have about 30minutes of time with the hp stuff but hours of fun with MS and FAST as well as the accel/holley projection systems.

now that MS can controll 4l60e/80e's i'm more willing to go back to MS

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info