Struts, Argh

shaveradam

www.finishingtouchdetail. com
Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
So, the Monte has the FE4 suspension package, for which it seems NO company makes any sort of drop in strut package...

I am going to be buying KYB Excel Struts (339015 fronts and 339148 rears) for a total of like $280. Monroe has decent install kits with bearing / plate and mounting hardware on Amazon ( I has $150 gift cards for Amazon, so that'll be free).

Is there anyone who can assist in transferring the springs to the new struts and potentially doing install / alignment? The least expensive I've found so far is approximately $350 and I am really trying to stay under that. I have also found that it'll cost about $100-$150 for a shop just to assemble the new struts for me (transfer springs over etc) which I think is CRAZY but to be honest...

Now, I am not opposed to getting a spring compressor myself and doing this myself, but how dangerous is this if you're using a spring compressor?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
If you have a good jack, you don't need a spring compressor for the fronts..... Just remove the nut on the strurlt while the car is on the ground (leave the 3 top plate nuts on there), then you jack up the car and the spring de-tensions as the car is lifted off the corner. Then you can remove the strut with the loose spring. Then remove the old top plate.

After that, you just reverse the steps, the trick is to get a minimal amount of the cars weight on the spring, then align the spring, and the strut to the top plate before SLOWLY lowering the car onto Tue spring, thus compressing it.

If you have a shitty $20 AutoZone jack I would NOT reccomend this method, a good floor jack is REQUIRED to do this sa

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
:rofl: at dave giving advanced level shit to a newb :rofl:

100-150$ is well worth it to save you the headache...wall mounted compressors are far safer and faster, hopefully they have true shaft type vise grips for final tightening of the shaft nut or at least they use a rag foilded to prevent marring of the shaft which will kill the strut seals reallll quick

01abboud

Not quite as new here...
Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria, VA
On a topic that nobody else has touched... I put a set of the Monroe strut mounts on my Regal... the rears were/are just dandy.... the fronts were shot after a year. You can often blame some of it on the installer... but the rust on them, not really anything I could control! Maybe I got a bad batch?

In other news, when I swapped them out, I paid the shop on base 15 bucks per corner to swap the springs from one strut to the other. If we can find a weekend that works for both of us, you're welcome to come to Great Lakes and we'll do it up. Basically, it's 6 bucks/hr to use the lift... we'd have to pull the struts (really easy on a lift!)... and then bring them the pile of parts and let them have at it. You'd still need to go get an alignment after, but I'm sure you can figure that out. I got a lifetime alignment for 160 at the Firestone in Round Lake Beach. It's come in handy, because the trans has been out a few times since then, and I just keep going back and getting another one done!

01abboud

Not quite as new here...
Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria, VA
You have lowering springs on yours?

If you're asking me, the answer is no. I've got Moog Control Coils in the front and stock Comp G springs in the back. I HAD Moog Cargo Coils in the back, but they sagged after 6-8 months... so they got replaced.

I appear to have the worst suspension luck ever. That, or I let stupid things bother me too much!

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
No, my brother's car is not lowered if that's what you were asking.

He found the spring compressors in my garage (some long metal things, two or three to a spring..) and wants to use those.

I am trying to warn him that they could potentially be very unsafe or deadly and he won't listen at the cost of saving money.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
No, my brother's car is not lowered if that's what you were asking.

He found the spring compressors in my garage (some long metal things, two or three to a spring..) and wants to use those.

I am trying to warn him that they could potentially be very unsafe or deadly and he won't listen at the cost of saving money.

If he is really doing it himself, the method I described is safer than questionable old cheap spring compressors.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
He's using his stock springs on new struts. They've got nearly 200k on them. Car still sits nice but I told him he shoulda just paid an extra 150 or so and gone with the zzp pack for convenience. He says that it "won't work with fe4" no that isn't the case. Different spring rates. I should've given him my struts and springs before I got rid of the car, they were new in december on warranty from zzp as one of the mounts squeaked on turns.

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
He's using his stock springs on new struts. They've got nearly 200k on them. Car still sits nice but I told him he shoulda just paid an extra 150 or so and gone with the zzp pack for convenience. He says that it "won't work with fe4" no that isn't the case. Different spring rates. I should've given him my struts and springs before I got rid of the car, they were new in december on warranty from zzp as one of the mounts squeaked on turns.

Eric, read this:

FE3 vs. FE4 Suspension - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

04-15-2010, 09:40 PM www.montecarloforum.com
Dale3goodwrench

2004 and 2005 Supercharged Monte Carlos also have the FE4 suspension. There is some difference in the rear strut so you can run the 17 inch wheel and tire combo. If you try to put a 17 wheel and tire off of a 2004-5 Supercharged SS on a FE2 or FE3 strut it will rub the cup where the spring sits on the rear of the car. I just bought 4 GR2 for FE4 suspension last week. KYB just started making them for FE4 suspension. $297 for all 4 struts

So, keep saying you know everything about my car. IF there was NO difference between the struts, why would they have completely different part numbers? Oh, and btw... I spoke with a tech from KYB yesterday who confirmed that the spring cup on the other struts is lower than these and confirmed that NO strut assembly exists that will work for the 04-05 Monte Carlo with the special handling package. :jg:

shaveradam

Sep 10, 2007
Round Lake, IL
On a topic that nobody else has touched... I put a set of the Monroe strut mounts on my Regal... the rears were/are just dandy.... the fronts were shot after a year. You can often blame some of it on the installer... but the rust on them, not really anything I could control! Maybe I got a bad batch?

In other news, when I swapped them out, I paid the shop on base 15 bucks per corner to swap the springs from one strut to the other. If we can find a weekend that works for both of us, you're welcome to come to Great Lakes and we'll do it up. Basically, it's 6 bucks/hr to use the lift... we'd have to pull the struts (really easy on a lift!)... and then bring them the pile of parts and let them have at it. You'd still need to go get an alignment after, but I'm sure you can figure that out. I got a lifetime alignment for 160 at the Firestone in Round Lake Beach. It's come in handy, because the trans has been out a few times since then, and I just keep going back and getting another one done!

I sent you a PM RE: this post because I would definitely take you up on this offer. Send me a PM with your name and number and I'll text you and as soon as I get the parts we can head over there. I'm off on Thursdays, Saturdays after 3:00PM and Sundays.

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
Eric, read this:

FE3 vs. FE4 Suspension - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

04-15-2010, 09:40 PM www.montecarloforum.com
Dale3goodwrench

2004 and 2005 Supercharged Monte Carlos also have the FE4 suspension. There is some difference in the rear strut so you can run the 17 inch wheel and tire combo. If you try to put a 17 wheel and tire off of a 2004-5 Supercharged SS on a FE2 or FE3 strut it will rub the cup where the spring sits on the rear of the car. I just bought 4 GR2 for FE4 suspension last week. KYB just started making them for FE4 suspension. $297 for all 4 struts

So, keep saying you know everything about my car. IF there was NO difference between the struts, why would they have completely different part numbers? Oh, and btw... I spoke with a tech from KYB yesterday who confirmed that the spring cup on the other struts is lower than these and confirmed that NO strut assembly exists that will work for the 04-05 Monte Carlo with the special handling package. :jg:

There is a difference. Know this first had Happened to a buddy of mine. Except he bought Monroe. Had to eventually call Monroe and they said there's a difference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info