Trans

intrigueing

Dec 11, 2010
Even at 5000 I'll fix it and keep it.

It is a supercharged gt. Trans was running 230 on a trip to st Louis( mind you it was 110) This morning my wife said the engine revved as in neutral then it banged into gear( only happened once) I need to look at it after work and assess the situation.

KJ if you still want to take a look pm me.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Even at 5000 I'll fix it and keep it.

It is a supercharged gt. Trans was running 230 on a trip to st Louis( mind you it was 110) This morning my wife said the engine revved as in neutral then it banged into gear( only happened once) I need to look at it after work and assess the situation.

KJ if you still want to take a look pm me.

the delay/slam into gear is a clue

change yer trans filter as it sounds like its plugged up enough to prevent the pump from drawing fluid very well......its probably also making it wear out sooner since the pump cant feed the volume/pressure it needs to at higher comanded line pressure and multiple clutches engauged at the same time. the damage may already be done but it'll "fix" it enough to sell

with 107k you should be on your 3rd filter, at least, by now

spend the $ for a good wix filter from oreally's/etc or see if you can find one of the made in usa Transtar filters

the chink junk sucks, if it says made in china give it back to the guy.... the wix is made in taiwan but i havent had any issues with em

intrigueing

Dec 11, 2010
Ok everyone we can rule out the sale. I'm not dumping on everyone's estimated price (that very well may be what the market would pay) - the car is just worth more than that to me.

Now I need to move on to getting it fixed. I'm trying to figure out my options. Let me explain the situation and I'd appreciate any of your advice. I got the car with 80 K on the clock. When I got the car the trans stick was quite dirty. The previous owner said it had been changed once before (and I believe him). Before buying the car he changed the fluid and filter again and I was there to inspect the pan and fluid change. The pan was dirty but not extremely bad. Trans always seemed to run 205-210 when warm outside and engine heat soaked. Fast forward to 105K and 1.5 years. Took a trip to St louis during very hot weather (105-110) and noticed trans temps were very high while cruising (220-230). After the trip I used a fluid transfer pump to pull the fluid out and replaced 4-quarts, then ran the car and replaced another 4 quarts. No filter swap - as I was going to do it after another trip to st louis. That next trip was also very hot. Now a week after my wife had the weird slip then bang (only once). When the car shifted weird the trans temp was only 140. No issues since. I pulled the dipstick and it was very dirty - does not really smell burned level is fine.

I'm planning on dropping the pan tonight. I need the car reliable as it is needed for my wife's commuter. Ok now to the questions.

1) would it be worth changing the fluid and filter and see how long it will last?
2) would anyone recommend lucas trans fix? - I did this on a regal at work once and it got a terrible shifting trans to last 70K miles before someone totaled it.
3) if i replace the trans would you recommend going with a junkyard or rebuilt or having someone rebuild the one in it.
4) anyone on here do trans rebuilds or swaps? If so how much would this run? PM me if you would like. If it is not too bad I'd prolly just get it fixed rather than risking driving it as is

intrigueing

Dec 11, 2010
update

Dropped the pan tonight. Pan was not terribly dirty. Wiped out pan and some black paste on the magnet but not too much - noticed one little metal flake. Pulled the filter out of the trans and a boatload of trans fluid gushed out - more than I've ever seen come out with a filter. Was feeling very good that a filter would help things significantly. Then I got the brilliant idea to pull the filter apart and see if it was full of mud. Tearing it apart I got a nice gash and almost quit but finally it came apart. The filter was not dirty or black at all but a lot of metal was inside. Basically enough shavings to at least cover a quarter.

Is the trans toast at this point?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
it might be, it might not, youll know shortly im gonna guess....

what was the old filter? was the filter media a resin impregnated yellowish cloth? post pics dammit

this is one of the cheaper options next up would be hooking up a scantool and checking calc gear ratio under wot and see how the trans adapts are

for now cross your fingers till you drive it some and see how it acts

intrigueing

Dec 11, 2010
Photo of trans filter

Photos of crappy cheap trans filter with metal in it.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 61
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info