Front rotor suggestions

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Sounds like you have an underlying problem then. Over torqued wheels being one of them. Rotors don't just warp from normal driving. Maybe you have a sticky caliper warping one rotor, or your rear rotors are dragging. I road race on cheap A-A rotors, I get them hot enough to turn colors and they stay relatively straight. :dunno:

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
no I don't. i just don't want to replace them with standard rotors and see the same problem again. on a side note the brake pad clips that come for the pads, grind, and make noise. quite annoying, then I ground them down and they rattle. no good either way.

whatever it is you are not doing it right. the anti rattle clips should not touch the rotors. if they do then the caliper bracket is not lined up properly.

If you are using f-body/12mm bolts you need a bushing to take up the room between the bolt and the knuckle. Knuckle has hole for 14mm bolts if you use 12mm bolts you need a bushing.

Also, what are 12" bonneville rotors? Is it the same as f-body rotors?

rotors could be warping due to uneven torque applied to the lug nuts and incorrect torque sequence. do you use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts on the wheel?

whatever it is you are not doing it right. the anti rattle clips should not touch the rotors. if they do then the caliper bracket is not lined up properly.

If you are using f-body/12mm bolts you need a bushing to take up the room between the bolt and the knuckle. Knuckle has hole for 14mm bolts if you use 12mm bolts you need a bushing.

Also, what are 12" bonneville rotors? Is it the same as f-body rotors?

rotors could be warping due to uneven torque applied to the lug nuts and incorrect torque sequence. do you use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts on the wheel?

12mm bolts, everything came with the kit. I initially had 12in front rotor upgrade with brackets from a boneville. Yes f-body's use the exact same part#'s for front rotors as SSE-I Bonneville's. no issues for 6 years. I changed to the f-body calipers after the warping issue to eliminate the possibility of hung up calipers or the lines deteriorating inside.

to my knowledge everything is mounted fine.

Not working at a dealership anymore I have never used a torque wrench when tightening my lug nuts. It is the right way but never had any issues. I can try to torque them when installing the new rotors.

I tried putting the clips them in every possible way and they touched.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
No TQ lug nuts?

2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2_super.jpg

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Sears had a crazy sale on torque wrenches. the floating rotor requires even torque on the five lug nuts if they are not even = rotor warps.

anti rattle clips. where are they touching the rotors? The part going across the top or on the sides?

Bushings - can you describe the bushing i am talking about?

If you need pictures i can dig them up...

01abboud

Not quite as new here...
Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria, VA
Yeah... my rotors warped shortly after I had the car to a shop... they snugged the hell out of my lugs. Need to warranty them! In other news, I've also got F-Body brakes... and you have to be careful putting them on. You CAN get it right and not have scraping on the hardware. I typically run a zip strip or something through the opening on the back of the caliper and use it to hold the clip in place as I slide the caliper on. Hope that made sense!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info