Coolant looks much diffrent. Check out these pics

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I was doing some odd end work this afternoon to my GP, when I took a look at the coolant. It usually always has the diaper goo dexcool thing going on, but today it looked like a dark chocolate milk. Seemed rather thick as well. I checked the oil, and the oil seemed fine. Looked and smelled like oil. The LIM gaskets were done about 3K ago without a hickup since. What do you think?

img2506.jpg

img2507z.jpg

Oil dipstick for your viewing pleasure

img2509w.jpg

img2510p.jpg

BTW - Yes I know that the dipstick is saying that the car is a little low on oil. The car was on a slope when this photo was taken.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
The top of the radiator cap seemed to have the typical build up. What was weird is when I put in the white paper to take the photo, it began to looks as if it became wet with water. Notice the first picture from the coolant overflow tank, the fluid does not spread through out the paper. In the radiator it spread much different. The thick fluid did not seem present. Hmmm weird.

img2513br.jpg

img2511tx.jpg

img2514gs.jpg

img2518f.jpg

img2519t.jpg

img2517z.jpg

img2516y.jpg

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
nah you just have the dex sludge and it sucks but that looks like dex with sludge, the fluid in the overflow gets churned up as the radiator fluid vents/returns so it seems thicker.

you got some cleaning to do and a full neglected system flush

fuck dexcool

I see. What do you suggest I do? Take it to a pro and have them flush it? I did get a flush done about three years ago at a midas :roflpicard:. They used the loud machine, but im thinking it needs more than that.

did they do a coolant flush after they did the intake manifold?

at my shop thats a standard.. but not sure if it was for your shop, or if you did the LIM gasket yourself.

A buddy of mine did it. ATM im not exactly sure what was done, but I know the person was doing allot of work with the coolant as well. He does excellent work so im sure it was done right.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
best is to do the neglected system flush for a week before the intake job. flush everything out real well and convert to green...honestly its very unlikely youll get the radiator clean enough and it may need to be replaced

none of the "machines" do much more than exchange the fluid, its a couple hours of work with a garden hose, compressed air and the car

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
best is to do the neglected system flush for a week before the intake job. flush everything out real well and convert to green...honestly its very unlikely youll get the radiator clean enough and it may need to be replaced

none of the "machines" do much more than exchange the fluid, its a couple hours of work with a garden hose, compressed air and the car

The car runs at normal temps (heat gauge is about a quarter raised) even in this hot ass summer. Do you suggest I act quick, or just hang with it until a problem is presented? From your replys it seems like a typical build up. While yes, dexcool sucks, it seems to be cooling alright. Not to mention its a ~$4K car. Id like to rule it as if it is not broken, don't fix it.

id take it to a shop..

it is a pretty easy job to do, but it should only be like $90 for a coolant flush. on the high end..

our shop actually uses a chemical cleaner to flush through the system as well

Ive been told that if you start flushing the coolant, possibly similar to a trans flush, it can cause even more problems in the future by breaking down the already exhausted gaskets. Is this true?

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
Ive been told that if you start flushing the coolant, possibly similar to a trans flush, it can cause even more problems in the future by breaking down the already exhausted gaskets. Is this true?

I haven't seen it happen, but i assume anything is possible. The worst i have seen is blowing out a heater core, but you have to be power flushing the core for that to happen.

id just take it to a good independent shop and get them to take a look.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info