99 gtp with problems....

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
hey guys, my 99 (185xxx miles) gtp wil stall out at stop lights, surges at idle when its running (hot only) so i 2 foot it at stop lights...only one time, while driving, the tach read 0, i thought it died, popped it into neutral, went to restart, and to my suprise, the engine was still running. DOH, starter didnt like that too much....awel.

anyways, ive swapped out the maf, ive swaped out the IAC,ive also swapped out the ignition control module..all of these yielded no results. it does not set any ses light, not even a pending code. possibly a crank position sensor?

the car will start right back up after it stalls, and its got good power when i mash the pedal. anyone experience similar or exact situations that can shed some light?

thanks in advance for anyones input!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the tach dropout only happened once? did it accompany a stall around the same time?
the surging when hot is sometimes a symptom of an old/skewed o2 sensor
what are iac counts when it stalls?
the cps could be an issue but corrosion in one of the wires would also reduce signal voltage bellow that of the trigger point (resulting in a 0rpm reading...that or a pcm to inst cluster databuss hickup caused that...)

6literEat'r

TCG Elite Member
Oct 21, 2008
well, today i decided to take a look at the crank sensor, removed the crank pulley, disconnected the harness, and lookin around, and found the hold down clip that holds the crank sensor harness gone, and 2 of the wires that go to the sensor, had exposed rubbed wire, rubbing on the a/c pulley....so i secured them wires and protected them, wound up replacing the crank position sensor anyways, figured im in there, might as well...did a re-learn, and so far so good today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 6literEat'r
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list