ignition swap

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
this is actually caused by a solinoid on the ignition switch. pushing the botton on the bottom of the column actually just moves the solenoid plunger.

You can open the column and just remove the solenoid, I did this about 5 years ago, no ill effects yet.

Once the plastic parts on the column are off, it is really easy to see how the solinoid is attached and how it can be removed. It is the big white thing on the back of the ignition switch, 2 or 3 bolts hold it on.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
there are prob some around but once you get the shifter trim off and look at it youll see exactly what im talking about.

the lever/tab that you press down on with the key is a 90* bellcrank, the lower leg of which is parallel with the shifter shaft, wrap zip tie around shaft and lower leg of bellcrank, pull tight, trim off excess, IROR

just remember that you must have it in park, there will no longer be an interlock for "stupid people" so you can pull the key out with the shifter in any position

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
My key will already come out at any time nor do I need to have my foot on the brake to come out of park. The car has the performance shift button which I was told did not come on 02s? The wire for the light came unhooked I think tho.

Its so odd because the ignition will work fine for a week or two. Then start doing this every time. Ill take a look at the shifter but prob not until after the SHO convention.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
this is actually caused by a solinoid on the ignition switch. pushing the botton on the bottom of the column actually just moves the solenoid plunger.

You can open the column and just remove the solenoid, I did this about 5 years ago, no ill effects yet.

Once the plastic parts on the column are off, it is really easy to see how the solinoid is attached and how it can be removed. It is the big white thing on the back of the ignition switch, 2 or 3 bolts hold it on.

how do you remove this solenoid? is it easy breasy?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info