Whats this noise?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
That's the air conditioning compressor clutch beginning to fail. Mine sounded the exact same way. Luckily, they are cheap (low 200s) for a good one. The bad part is when I recharged my system, the line on the firewall decided to go bye bye. I had tim from chitown (primhatch) do the install / recharge.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
That sounds about right.. Was hoping it would be something a little cheaper. A/C runs ice cold still. Do I need to replace this pretty soon or will it cause damage?
AC Delco one fine?

it can be cheaper but a little more of a pain, right now its not too bad, if you bought a new clutch/pulley/bearing assembly you can get it swapped out without discharging the ac refrigerant

you have to remove the belt, 13mm shaft nut, use a special external thread puller that tightens into the clutch hub and you crank down the center bolt to pull off the clutch, once its off you yank off an external snapring and the pulley/bearing come right off and as long as the bearing wasnt worn enough to destroy the electromagnet its just slapping the new parts back on. clutch can be half the cost of a comp or better and mostly you can rent the puller tools

if you leave it as is it will get louder but you can bend away the clutch cover to negate it as the bearing wears. you have at least a month to maybe 6months before it gets bad enough that even your radio wont drown it out.

if your car has well over 100k then it may be smarter to just get a new compressor as the shaft seals do eventually leak on em and the r134a will leak out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info