Horn randomly honked twice today? wtf?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
So driving to and from work today, my GP's horn randomly honked for a solid second. My hands was no where near the middle of the steering wheel. Once it was sitting in traffic, the next I was making a left turn.

It has never happened before and I have not done anything for about a week. I installed some HID's but it was really straight forward. I did have to disable the headlight flash. Also, the DRL fuse is still in the box, but the connector at the heatsink is unplugged i believe.

Any idea what could be causing this? I am positive that it came from my car.

This thread pretty much sums it up. Looks like it could be a switch in the steering wheel? http://www.grandprix.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=142451

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
im to lazy to lookover the diagrams in alldata but yeah you coulda fubar'd stuff up but aside from primary power feed and ground side it shouldnt interface with other systems

i have seen the airbag/horn contacts go bad and cause honks over bumps, the customers dont always wanna blow the dough for a new airbag to fix it :rofl:

just unscrew the airbag from the colum 15min after disconnectingthe battery and youll see the airbag and horn wires, just unplug the horn and bolt it back on.
you can run a sep horn button if you need/want
can you replicate the horn issue just sitting in the drivers seat and touching/beating the colum like yer monkey?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you don't want to open up the steering column, you can unplug the horn at the horn itself in the engine compartment and cap or tape the wires.

As mentioned, an aftermarket horn is an easy install. Plus, if you go aftermarket there are a lot of options like horns that play Dixie or other songs, air horns that sound like a train and more.

If you do go aftermarket, most important thing is locating the button where you can easily reach it without having to fumble for it. Wiring it to your original horn button is ideal but then you are again faced with opening the column. A large button in an easy to reach place is easier to mount and wire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info