Looking for a little help.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
My little brother owns a 2000 Bonneville with the supercharged 3800. Being a blue oval guy I do not know a lot about performance on these cars.

I have heard somewhere in the past that they have little Eatons on them. That is my extent of knowledge on these.

He called me today and said that the previous owner had the stock air filter tube duct taped together. He doesn't want to spend more than $300 but wants to buy the best quality CAI.

Thanks for any help in advance.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Yeah I'd go out and buy a nice K&N 4in filter and just get some make it yourself tubing from vato zone. Get the filter as close to the headlight as possible. Making it yourself is the best IMO. Can get creative with paints and stuff and will be cheap and work just as well

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I don't know about the JMB on an SSEI. I wouldn't pt the filter in the fender well as it gets filthy and Is a pain in the ass to get out. Also he'll need a PCM tray or some way to mount the PCM since it is currently in the bottom of the airbox.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
4" 45" rubber sewer pipe coupler (cut it back to 20-30* and clamp cut end to TB). less than 2 ft of 4" pvc sewer pipe, you may only use 12inches or less but i think the shortest you can buy em is 2 or 3 ft lengths, i prob have a leftover in my scrap pile
4"x9" cone filter
stick the soft side of velcro tape to flat of pcm and toss it on fender
bungee cord optional i guess

oh and clean the maf while your in there, gentle with mod'd Q tips (remove cotton/bend) and rubbing alcohol

spend rest of money on headers, install 3.4

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Yeah I'd go out and buy a nice K&N 4in filter and just get some make it yourself tubing from vato zone. Get the filter as close to the headlight as possible. Making it yourself is the best IMO. Can get creative with paints and stuff and will be cheap and work just as well

:werd:

My pcm just kinda sits on the metal tray of the body below the stock air box location. Doesn't really move, nfwg.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Well thanks for all of the answers but we need to switch gears a little. I found out he got a new car and is talking about a 04 grand prix same engine. I believe the 04 had a little different body style.

I want speed without caring what my car looks like type of guy. My brother on the other hand has a little bit of ricer in him. Wants his CAI to look better than it performs.
Just letting everyone know what we are dealing with.

intense-racing.com had a perfect set up for a descent price but now I see that it doesn't fit his 04.

KJ - He gave me a text while I was at your work yesterday. I looked after we left.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
for an intake id still suggest the same setup and as a plus yes the 04+ can leave the lower airbox tray in the fender area but if you remove it you can shove a 12" filter in there. tell him to paint the PVC tube neon pink or something i dunno

i thought ricers liked cheapo stainless ebay headers and 3.4 PAH....he must not be a ricer

any older LQ4 (85mm maf) CAI will work with the 04+ L32 gen5 M90 or L26 intake but youll have to make sure you get the LQ4 maf and tune the pcm for the larger maf. as well as youll have to drill/install a fitting behind the maf but in front of the TB for a 3/8ths hose to run over to the fresh air supply nipple for the PCV system (youll see the oem hose on his oem intake readily to see hwat i am refering to)

if he goes the PVC route, its easy to add the PCV fresh air hose and if he doesnt wanna blow the 75-150$ for an lq4 maf the pvc tube would let him cut a slot and drill a couple holes to toss the OE 04+ "credit card" maf sensor element inside the 4" tube and save some $
i believe when Al did his stainless and silicone intake with Lq4 maf he spend 50 or so for the 4x12" filter and around 150-200ish in the stainless tubing and couplers/clamps 150 for a new LQ4 maf
to end up with this....which half the stuff was cutoff and not used
Alsintaketubingandcouplers.jpg

and as you can see you can barely see the stainless tubing by the time your done
ALs04GPGTL26_32.jpg

he should go the PVC route and put the $ he saves towards a can of silver paint and some headers...kinda a buzzkill to see a car stock with a fancy air intake but to each his own

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info