wheel bearings

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Whats the best deal on wheel bearings? The passenger side on my car was replaced before I got it, and I put the drivers side on in sept '10. I've been getting some ABS engagement at low speed stops and from what I've been told its a wheel bearing. I need to jack the car up and check for play probably today. Do these cars go thru wheel bearings this fast? they were both Timken units.

That said, anyone got a good one they wanna bring to Lukes tonight? :pedobear:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I have no abs light, if I have no play, its still good?
yup Al's 04 triggered the abs pulsing comming to a stop for about 5k before it turned on the abs light at just over 50k, no play at all and now he's at nearly 85k and they were tight last time we tossed a motor in it...and we have replaced his trans before that so the axle hub nuts have been loosened and re tourqed at least once already.

GM shoulda stuck with external tone rings and sensors

all thats required is to learn proper threshold braking in the various driving/road conditions and youll stop faster than abs anyways...abs is a crutch for people who dont jknow how to drive

Sounds like your brake reservoir is low, this will cause your abs light to flicker on and off during braking since the fluid is shifting in the reservoir.

neg that will cause the brake light to trigger which automatically sets a hard abs light as it disables abs/tcs system when it detects a primary hydraulics fault....

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
neg that will cause the brake light to trigger which automatically sets a hard abs light as it disables abs/tcs system when it detects a primary hydraulics fault....

this sounds like exactly what happened on my car.. how the hell do i get rid of the light after fixing the issues. i replaced both front bearings a while back, and did a full brake bleed and those damn lights wont go away. annoying at best but still a pain.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
possible. theres only one bearing left i havent replaced on the car. it makes no noise or has any play. i guess i should just look at replacing it.. id like to have it scanned but there is no where to do it AFAIK that wont charge me.

im trying to get my scanner back from TG to look at anus's daytona tonight at lukes. but it would take 30seconds with my scanner at lukes to find the code and/or clear it and read each wheel speed during a test drive around the lot

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I have no light on. I've only noticed the ABS engaging when I am coming to a slow stop, and usually after I have turned the wheel, like in parking lots, etc. I sent a text to my mechanic friend and he suggested it was the wheel bearing.

welcome to the wonderfull world of integral hall effect wheel speed sensors...bullshit i tell ya, bullshit

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
im trying to get my scanner back from TG to look at anus's daytona tonight at lukes. but it would take 30seconds with my scanner at lukes to find the code and/or clear it and read each wheel speed during a test drive around the lot

just a question i had since you mentioned a scanner and abs, can you delete the codes so they never come back, I did an abs delete on my 04' and I'm not positive but i think if the abs code is set it won't let you use cruise control and I like cruise control

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I jacked it up and checked for play on both wheels, both are solid. I don't think I'm really going to worry about it. When I replaced the drivers side, it was groaning/grinding and had some play in it.

Don't the Timken's have a really good warranty? I can't remember the details but i think that was one of the reason i bought a Timken wheel bearing last time i did mine.
I suppose I could call autozone :rofl:

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Timkens, no questions asked. I've gotten the more budget friendly ones and they would almost always crap out. Cavalier, Timkens were $75, store brand was like $50, went with the cheaper ones, 5k later, grinding again. Aspire, granted different setup, went with cheaper brand, 2k later, done. Threw Timkens on there, haven't had a problem since.

If you hold off on replacing them, just periodically check them, if the wheel starts to wiggle get them off immediately. I put it off on the Cavi, it would push the piston back into the caliper, and I'd have to pump up the brakes to stop safely...hooray for winter in that case...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info