Fuuuu I think I popped a head gasket

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Last night on my way home from Luke's I was about 10 miles away from home and a hammered the gas. The car was fast as fuck last night with no kr at all. Then I got on the gas again a while later and I had kr and I thought that was weird. This morning I started the car and it ran rough with white smoke out the exhaust for about 30 seconds. Now that I and thinking about it, I must have coolant going into the cylinder and is making the car run like crap on cold startup. After it clears out it seems to run pretty normal. I checked the oil and coolant and everything looks good

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if you can pull the plugs and look for a glazy plug. remember its just as likely that an lim gaasket might be creeping from a cooant port to the intake port and i dont think you have it but the tb oolant passages leak.

shortly after startup were the hosess at full pressure? this would be you pumping air into he system fthrough a headgasket

knock retard

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
If you can, let it sit overnight and have someone hook a scan tool up to it the next morning and go into the misfire counter for each of the cylinders. Start the engine and pinpoint which cylinder is missing, pull that plug and let it sit overnight again and then start it with the spark plug out while someone holds a mirror by the plug hole to see if any coolant sprays out onto the mirror.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I just went and started the car again on lunch and I have NO smoke this time but still ran like crap for the first 30 seconds. As James asked me to check the coolant hoses and that were not pressureised.

I am going to pull the spark plugs when I go home and see what they look like. Maybe I have a chipped piston:ugh:

I am also going to pressure test the cooling system sometime.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
If you can, let it sit overnight and have someone hook a scan tool up to it the next morning and go into the misfire counter for each of the cylinders. Start the engine and pinpoint which cylinder is missing, pull that plug and let it sit overnight again and then start it with the spark plug out while someone holds a mirror by the plug hole to see if any coolant sprays out onto the mirror.

That would be a good first start. Same issue I had on the 3400 in the Aztek.... On start up, rough idle, white sweet smelling smoke, misfires on #2.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I don't know what to think any more. The car has not puffed out any more smoke on start up, just runs like a bad misfire for a little bit. Oil and coolant still look good after driving to work and back home. I did pull the plugs and none were smashed lol, cylinder 2 was very dark while the rest were pretty good looking.

Cyl 2, 4, 6
IMG_0353-1.jpg

Cyl 1, 3, 5
IMG_0354-1.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info