3800 Recommendations on new build

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
I want to build the L36 I bought off of Ron Vogel, but I can't decide what to do. I plan on:

- Have the block blueprinted
- Have the oil passages enlarged
- Bored .020" over
- New piston Rings
- Sinister Drag Designs oil volume kit
- Custom ported heads w/ larger LS style valves
- Custom Cam (thinking Thrasher based w/ more exhaust lift, but would like more suggestions)
- Stage 2 ZZP IC (if I can't get a hold of an ILGPC IC)
- All new bearings w/ ARP head studs, main studs, and connecting rod bolts
- Stock thickness head gaskets
- Porting my Gen V, Northstar, and LIM
- Electric water pump
- ZZP machined oil pump cover w/ new pump
- Double roller timing chain

That's all I can think of at the moment, lol.

I'm open to all suggestions even "you can't rebuild a 3800" only if you give me a good reason. I want to hit over 350 WHP on a daily driven car. I will be using my exhaust that I currently have on and will be getting a Trannyman trans w/ 3.29 gears.

Thanks in advance.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I got 2 words for you.... NITROUS... :hsugh: I mean 2 power adders :mamoru:

For real though i wouldn't go custom grind cam, i'd go like s3x parts and hardware. Then you can save your money on the i/c and spend it on the heads instead... hmm? Not really an opinion just more for you to think about :hahano:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
diesel_fastandthefurious_nos.jpg

Two bottles, the big ones.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Aww fuck it.

I want to build the L36 I bought off of Ron Vogel, but I can't decide what to do. I plan on:

- Have the block blueprinted
- Have the oil passages enlarged
- Bored .020" over
- New piston Rings
- Sinister Drag Designs oil volume kit

Honestly, the only way I would ever run a "built" 3800 is if Tischler did the build himself. Ive seen his work and it is better then any other "rebuild" Ive ever seen. Even by a shop. If that is too much money for you, get a stock L36 block.

- Custom ported heads w/ larger LS style valves

Make sure you get a good shop to do the heads. Theres a shop in MN that ports heads and their stock valve heads make IS3 heads look silly up to about 500 lift. After that, the IS3 heads take a small lead to 600. Very small lead.

- Custom Cam (thinking Thrasher based w/ more exhaust lift, but would like more suggestions)

If you go with a custom cam, get your heads done first, and use the flow numbers from the heads to spec out the cam.
- Stage 2 ZZP IC (if I can't get a hold of an ILGPC IC)

Get the ZZP IC. The ILGPC/WBS whatever gen/Intense ICs are decent, but teh cores suck and will eventually start leaking/warping.

- All new bearings w/ ARP head studs, main studs, and connecting rod bolts

:bigthumb:
- Stock thickness head gaskets

Nothing wrong with that if you are going with a L36
- Porting my Gen V, Northstar, and LIM

Id polish the blower and TB at best. Have the same shop that does your heads do the LIM. Nice and even match.

- Electric water pump

Frees up some power. :bigthumb:

- ZZP machined oil pump cover w/ new pump
- Double roller timing chain

Definatly.

That's all I can think of at the moment, lol.

I'm open to all suggestions even "you can't rebuild a 3800" only if you give me a good reason. I want to hit over 350 WHP on a daily driven car. I will be using my exhaust that I currently have on and will be getting a Trannyman trans w/ 3.29 gears.

Thanks in advance.

You have some good ideas going. Like I said, if you want the engine built, Mark Tischler is the man to seek. If you want a custom cam, do your heads first and base the cam off the flow numbers of the heads.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Put a turbo on it and be done. Or, buy a car that doesnt need $7k worth of parts to go fast. I loved working on the grand am when I had it, as much of a turd as it was. After getting the TBSS I want to slap myself silly for all of the money I dumped into it. This truck would have a built 408 in it right now and be able to run bottom 11s for the money I would have spent to finish that car.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
you can run the l36 with a turbo...

i would HIGHLY suggest running a stock block, whether it's l36/l67, you'll be better off spending money on mods that make power, rather than raising the likelyhood of an engine failure. with 6k, you can make 450whp, including the trans, doing the work yourself.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Id wait to see what ZZP is coming up with. There is a thread on CGP with Matt asking others what they would like to see with the new kit. This could drive people to upgrade and you can see used Z7s coming up in the classifieds for cheap.

Cartuning is hit or miss. I went over the kit Charles from DHP had in his 04 and it looked slick. Ive also seen some hacked up kits as well. Customer service from Kevin is horrible if you live south of Canada. :s00ls:

Or you can just get the Z7 exhaust plumbing and custom do your own kit like KJ did. He however had some good help with the fab. :hs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info