GP won't stay running

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
bend one of the primary circuit tabs on the fp relay number 85 or 86 doesnt matter but i believe its 85 that you can bend and it just points at the bolt tower for the power distribution block cover plastic bolt.
the other one would go under a relay next to it, no big deal you can just clip it off too.
all your looking to do is leave the relay in the NC position which is high speed, the pcm turns on the relay when it passes fp power through the resistor for low speed.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
mod the resister/low speed relay and have em clear the crank code, the crank code can be triggered falsely, ive seen it plenty of times unless the belt chewed the icm/cam/crank sens harness ive seldon seen a crank sens fail

For a few months when driving on the highway I would get a little bump in rpm's and the tach would shut down. And would work fine once restarted. Sometimes I would get a code, took it to pepboys and they read a cps code. But before I got it to the shop it had cleared. So they had checked the sensor, said it was just corroded so they cleaned and put it back in.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i find that as these cars get older terminal clamping gets weaker esp if connectors are wiggled excessivly
check the connector going to your icm you may have to use a small sewing needle to bend the arched contact pad outward and make sure you got a good connection.

just ask angel, a simple terminal rebend fixed an issue he assumed was a ckps issue that woulda cost alot to fix.

a cps code can trigger at ANY point that some otehr system causes the engine to die (e.g. bad fuel pump) icm failure, hell even a tcc stuck on can cause the ckp sensor codes to trip.

one of the first things in any flowchart is to clear and retest to confirm

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
FWIW, easy way to bypass the resistor.

images

I had the Caspers rewire kit on my Regal, which pretty much bypasses the resistor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info