rear cover gasket failure/replacement

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ok by now most of ya know i wont steer ya wrong as far as vehicles go,
ive posted this in several build threads but it probably should be posted yet again.
these bastards are timebombs, several were leaking before i got to em. this one was just starting to go out.
keep in mind gm used the paper gasket up to 05ish, late 05/06 onward there's an aluminum rear cover gasket, these dont fair too well either...maybe the dex, but regardless its a direct path for coolant to enter the oil or if the damage is next to the oil galleys it could pump oil into the cooling system.
its never a bad idea to do a gasket overhaul, so far ive been glad ive removed a part i didnt really eed to, only to find bad gaskets
this gasket was splitting out in two area's on hk's new low mile late 04/early 05 motor, clean motor, id put it at 40-60k max, you woulda never guessed what was lurking

IMG_1630.jpg

here's the aluminum cover gasket (btw this gasket will not allow you to delete Balance shaft oiling with tthe JB qwik weld method of filling in the cover passage.
IMG_1454.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info