gas cap question

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
So in the last few years I have had the gas cap come loose a few times. I am really good about tightening it until it clicks a few times. Can they possibly work themselves loose? I filled up friday, drove 150miles. Car sat until today, drove 30 miles and the ses light went on. The cap was hanging off. The car sat in the street all weekend. I am hoping nobody messed with it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Either replace with a new regular cap or go the locking cap route depending on if you think it more likely the cap loosened itself or was messed with. With gas at $4+ a gallon, fuel thefts are going to go up. Plus you can get irate girls who take gas caps off, put popcorn in your tank and stick a garden hose in your back window.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
02ssei- No they do not have a locking gas cap or door. You just open them right up with your finger. Don't even need to push a button or anything.

Framos- It's the original gas cap.

Flyn- Luckily it seems that I have the same amount of gas in there that I left it with.
I live in a decent area with little to no crime, except I got a note on the door last week about some people knocking on doors saying "Can you help me find my dog". It was to see if anyone was home so they can break into the house. Nobody even comes to the door because of the dog.
My car is parked outside my bedroom window so someone would have to be pretty balsey to fuck with it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
there's an anti siphon ball in the fill tube of most cars nowadays, its one reason you dont find many fuel doors that latch/lock
the thickest hose you could probably get past it would be a 3/8ths id which would take a while to siphon.

they generally wont work their way loose but, just a heads up, at harry's on rand we used to fuck with each other/friends/boss by loosening the cap so the check engine light would go on...its one reason that nowadays if i see a check engine light the first thing i do is tighten the gas cap :rofl:

get a gas cap from the junkyard or spend the $ for a stant cap

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
i was just about to post a gas cap question... seems someone has been taking my gas, its a 92 buick century so no lock. ive been checking for fuel leaks and none what so ever. but 3 times i have came out to my car with around 1/8th of a tank and when i parked it i had damn near a full tank. i live in a shitty area so its possible. hell someone stole my bike and a neighbors firebird at noon with a tow truck.

anyways my question is i know there is different types of caps. do i need a specific one. mine doesnt click when its tightened either. just gets super tight

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
a 92 should have the anti siphon filler tube along with the spring loaded fill flap at the neck.
just have the parts store lookup the lockable cap for your model which should go up to 94 or 95 Gm's before they switched threads for OBD2 evap leak detection which are the clicking caps.

thats what i thought. its the 4th or 5th time i think its happened. and at first i thought i just wasnt paying attention untill i filled it completely and came out to only running on fumes basicly. cops said its been happening alot for the past year around here.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
there's an anti siphon ball in the fill tube of most cars nowadays, its one reason you dont find many fuel doors that latch/lock
the thickest hose you could probably get past it would be a 3/8ths id which would take a while to siphon.

they generally wont work their way loose but, just a heads up, at harry's on rand we used to fuck with each other/friends/boss by loosening the cap so the check engine light would go on...its one reason that nowadays if i see a check engine light the first thing i do is tighten the gas cap :rofl:

get a gas cap from the junkyard or spend the $ for a stant cap

Oddly enough the ville has a locking door.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
be happy they arent just puncturing tanks though you usually see that on trucks/suv's
a locking gas cap will fix you right up.
id tell ya to glue thumb tacks to the cap handle in the loosening direction but after they find it they might decide to brick a window in retaliation.
you can prussian blue the gas cap after filling up and look around your neighboorhood for someone with blue hands...

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
be happy they arent just puncturing tanks though you usually see that on trucks/suv's
a locking gas cap will fix you right up.
id tell ya to glue thumb tacks to the cap handle in the loosening direction but after they find it they might decide to brick a window in retaliation.
you can prussian blue the gas cap after filling up and look around your neighboorhood for someone with blue hands...

not that small of a town lol. my block alone has 6 apartment buildings. and we have had trucks stolen from my old work where the main thing they steal is the gas lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
not that small of a town lol. my block alone has 6 apartment buildings. and we have had trucks stolen from my old work where the main thing they steal is the gas lol

youll usually find blue fingerprints on door handles or anything they touch.

years ago one of our customers had an issue with disapearing fuel so i loaned him a tube of blue and a couple gloves for him to fillup with. 2 days later his neighbors son's car had blue prints all around his fuel door/door handles. pop's made kiddo pay him back...he got his yard mowed for free all summer

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
plus i have had my cars broken into before. they dont break windows they use lock out kits you can tell when you look at my weatherstrip and trim. luckily. i dont keep anything in my car not even aftermarket radio for this reason. my first car was a tempo and i found a bum sleeping in it one day haha. need to move asap

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info