3800 impala emergency brake sticking

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
as topic title states

every time I fill up, i put the emergency brake to the floor , let it sit for a few minutes while the car is filling up with gas , then bring it back up when I go to leave.

well.. I did it tonight. and I drove away from the pump and it felt like it was dragging...though the pedal was fully upright.

I have a feeling the emergency brake is engaged to an extent but I had to drive home four or five miles on it. The wheels were a little warm to the touch (i'd say ... 50-60 degrees)

I've heard about people literally *melting* the emergency brake pot on these cars from driving with the E-brake on, so I stopped every half mile for a minute or two and let the brake cool down and then began going again.

How do I disengage a stuck parking brake on this car? i've never experienced this so I don't know.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
as topic title states

every time it snow, i put the emergency brake to the floor , let it tail slide out, tokyo drift style, then bring it back up right before i wind up in the neighbors lawn.

well.. I did when it snowed. and I drove away from the curb at roughly mach 7 and it felt like the rwd was still not working...though the pedal was fully upright.

I have a feeling the emergency brake is engaged to an extent but I had to drift the kohl's parking lot and then another neighborhood four or five more times on it. The wheels were a little warm to the touch (i'd say ... just about right for frying an egg)

I've heard about people literally *melting* the magical drift creator on these cars from driving with the drift petal. so i would drift into a snowbank every half mile for a minute or two and let the brakes cool down because snow is real cold and then began going again.

How do I disengage a stuck parking brake on this car? so i can get my fwd drift on again?.

*fixed to make it a better sools post.

:s00ls:

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
common practice? ive never once heard of anyone continually using their ebrake like this

Its more common then you think. Locking your P-brake before you let off the brakes wont let your car rock back and put an unneeded stress on your lower mounts. Anyone ever find it a little hard to shift into reverse if on an incline(97-03)?

Lots of GP guys have done this and we stiill do depending on the car.
What i dont understand is why do it on level ground?

Go under the car and see if the cable is hanging. If not, jack up the car and set the P-brake see if one wheel is locked or if both are easy to spin. This will help narrow the problem down a little.

Little advice i was given years ago when it comes to W/H bodys p-brakes.
If you have not used it for the first 80-100k then dont bother using it, you have a huge chance of it failing when you release it for the first time or it just might not release at all.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Its more common then you think. Locking your P-brake before you let off the brakes wont let your car rock back and put an unneeded stress on your lower mounts. Anyone ever find it a little hard to shift into reverse if on an incline(97-03)?

X2, Also, keep in mind on FWD cars, this effectively locks all 4 tires (inclines, Theft deterrent etc) My civic I always left in gear and E-brake set whenever I went into the city specifically

I have a friend who had a manual wrangler that got railed while parked in gear with no e-brake, Wrecked their trans + the damage it took from the impact.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info