3800 motors coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tease

Well, the motor has to come out and get fixed on the Camaro......It hadn't been putting down numbers the way it was before it sucked up some water, it was actually getting slower every run when I'd take it to the track. Well on November 1st at Cordova the car lost all oil pressure. It's a good thing we trailered the car. So needless to say the car is waiting over at FLP for me to give the go ahead to pull it. It took the bearings out and has a light knock, so it has to be gone through and fixed. :(

Only reason they are waiting on pulling it is cause I asked them to, seeing I am closing on my house on Dec 1st and want to make sure nothing comes up right away that has to be fixed with that.

T

tease

AES Built the motor 4 years ago in prep for the twins going on the car.

It has Custom shortened Forged Crower Rods
Diamond Deep Dish Pistons (9:1)
Custom Grind Comp Cam
Custom AES heads
And everything else AES did and put in it to hold over 21psi

I'd trust a built bottom end anyday over a stock non forged one with the amount of boost being pushed through my car........but to each there own we all have our opinions.

This motor letting loose had nothing to do with how the motor was built, it had to do with the weather (the flooding rain we had in late August/early September) and the car being driven in it when it shouldn't of been by the driver (me).

DOHCZ34

Oct 23, 2008
Twin cities, MN
Real Name
Chris
AES Built the motor 4 years ago in prep for the twins going on the car.

It has Custom shortened Forged Crower Rods
Diamond Deep Dish Pistons (9:1)
Custom Grind Comp Cam
Custom AES heads
And everything else AES did and put in it to hold over 21psi

I'd trust a built bottom end anyday over a stock non forged one with the amount of boost being pushed through my car........but to each there own we all have our opinions.

This motor letting loose had nothing to do with how the motor was built, it had to do with the weather (the flooding rain we had in late August/early September) and the car being driven in it when it shouldn't of been by the driver (me).

ZZP's car just went to an experimental bottom end with their 8 sec drag car. They had been running a stock bottom end for a couple years. leaps and bounds more power that what you're making just to run 11.6. Then again, it's your money spend it how you want :dunno:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Every forged/built 3800 I've ever come into contact with eventually spun bearings...

sounds like what happened here...
My M90 setup is stressing the bottom end much more than a turbo setup running slightly quicker. There are plenty of 3800's in the 11s, 10s, 9s, and one in the 8s on stock bottoms. Your setup does not warrant forged parts, nor does any other setup that has ever run on a 3800. Perhaps someday a limit will be reached, but right now, forged parts and built bottoms are unnecessary on ANY 3800 build, period.

T

tease

Guys......The build on my car started over 6 years ago when no one was really doing anything besides bolt ons and nitrous with the F-body 3.8. I wasn't about to take the risk and of blowing the motor cause it was all stock (f-body 3.8 don't have factory forged internals like the SC gtp's). Others have decided to push there stock motors a lot further since mine was pulled and built.....As I said to each there own on the motor. And I dont' car which motor you have if you suck up a lot of water into any motor it will likely take the bearing out of it. It might not show up right away on most cars, because most people done RACE there car, they just drive them. This thread wasn't to get in a battle about stock and built motors!!!!!

I just thought I'd let you guys know that it did hurt the motor. As as I have said it was cause of MY doing not cause of how the motor was built. I DECIDED TO DRIVE THE CAR HOME INSTEAD OF TRAILERING THE CAR SEEING IT WASN'T RAINING THAT BAD EARLIER IN THE DAY AND WHEN I LEFT THE SHOP WITH IT!!!! NO ONE KNEW IT WAS GONNA START POURING THE WAY IT DID THAT DAY! Now I remember why I don't visit here much and let you know what the status of the car is.

I'm done with you guys and this site.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Im sorry if you took my comment as degrading, I did not know the conditions when u sucked in some water, i was just wondering. Everybody has there opinions and they are only constructive about 25% of the time on the interweb imho. I would just take with a grain of salt and let them believe whatever they want, you know whats in your car and why, and its nobody elses business. I rarely post whats done to my car or plans i have for it, not because im trying to hide anything, but because I get better information and feedback from friends, professionals, and my own research. I learn who knows wtf they are talking about and listen to them and just ignore the rest. I would hope this does not keep you away from the forum as it can be quite amusing and most guys on here are good people at heart.

Happy Thanksgiving Carmen!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I dont think mat was trying to offend anyone, seriously, if anything he was only trying to help you save a dollar or three, for which he backed it up with a solid response on something relating to your car... just a suggestion, not a law or a rule by any means.

your car is one of my favorites, and itd really be sad if i stopped reading about it on here...

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
How would the motor ingesting water somehow fuck up the bearings?

It wouldn't.

The bearings died because rebuilds fucking die, that's what they do...

Whomever instructed you that supercharged L67's have forged internals was wrong, the rods are cast in the L67, and powdered metal in the L32, same goes for the L36 and L26 respectively. Dumping the built bottom and putting in a stock L67 bottom would do perfectly well, would easily hold up to the power, and would save you a ton of coin.

I don't know why you're getting all pissy and defensive (pms perhaps?) but in the end, we're just trying to steer you in the right direction for a build that will last awhile and not cost a fortune. If you want to waste your money on forged internals that will fail again though, be my guest. I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about, I certainly haven't been pushing big power out of an L67 for a fairly long time or anything...

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
way to scare off one of our few female members...

If me trying to save this chick a substantial amount of money by not rebuilding a motor known to have a terrible reputation when rebuilt, was enough to drive her off, then good riddance I suppose.

There's plenty of worse bullshit slinging around on this site, she wouldn't have lasted long anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info