3800 The Rumors (if any) are true...

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Long story short:

Friday:
tranny popped going uphill from my house...
tranny slipped all of the way to work, then to my girlfriend's house.

Saturday:
Car went 500 yards when I was trying to take it to Bachrodt Pontiac on State Street in Rockford. Pushed it with my GF's Intrepid to the east entrance of Sundstrand. Found out Bachrodt Pontiac Service is now closed on Saturdays, so it got towed to Jack Wolf in Belvidere.

Still waiting to hear what the Warranty company wants to do...

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Don't worry. Mines going south too. How many miles on it?

about 95,000 original miles

Did you try putting it into 1 or anything?? If a forward band went out, going down to a different gear might have gotten it to run.

yup, tried that, but it was first that died mostly... it drove alright once it shifted to second, third, and overdrive. once first totally burnt, no such luck on getting it to move...

How many miles on your car Rebel? Mine keeps hinting at me that it might not last a whole lot longer.

see above...

Warranty company footing bill for new trans (rebuilt most likely), and I am probably going to have the dealer do the front hub bearings and tighten up the front suspension at the same time to keep future costs down (yes the front hub bearings are covered too...) now to find the rest of the $250 deductible and enough for two tanks of gas...

Last edited:

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
that sucks. i've got 130k on my trans and it's still running strong and shifting like new *knocks on wood*

That is the downside of buying a used car... you never know if the car has been beat on... sometimes you get lucky, sometimes a fail...

I don't know how the previous owner treated this car, but I presume it hasn't been modded before... still has u-bend, still the point is, the previous owner probably beat on this car...

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
thats why you buy from an older couple who just had twins....thats what i did. car was babied but under the back seat was full of sunflower seeds and captain crunch.

:rofl: :rofl:

went out to Wolf today to get the skinny on exactly what broke and to get the loaner washed...

they said they dropped the tranny pan and found a huge chunk of metal and lots of clutch shavings... seems as though the forward band busted hard... when the service writer said that to the warranty company rep, he said stop, get him a new tranny... so I am getting a new GM reman 4T65HD with a GM-backed 3-year, 100,000 mile warranty...

Here's hoping that GM stays in business now!

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Funny part is, its not a GM new/replacement/rebuild/reman, its a USED trans, which I knew had problems because it shifted like shit, and had hunting problems bad between 37-39mph. The warranty company can blow me, this is what they get for being cheap. So far its cost them a ton more to chase down trans'...1 was the wrong one, they found out after installing it, and another was just BAD which they again found out after installing it. They could have just given me a remanned one (which I had OK luck with in my 97 GS for 70k) for all the wasted time and money.

/thread jack

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info