3800 3800 turbo build

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
1st suggestion. dont build that block.

just use a stock one.

2nd. ebay/classifieds are huge unless you are a really good welder...

i put together everything on my car for a little less than 3k i believe... and thats:

turbo, xover, downpipe, tog downpipe, 65# inj, tial wastegate, turboxs bov, ebay i/c, filter, fuel rails, gaskets, oil, oil stuff for the turbo, vacuum lines, bolts, nuts, couplers, ummm... yadda yadda. yadda.

read the turbo section on clubgp, i read basically every thread for a year, and gained most everything i knew from that.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
these bottom ends are plenty stout, "building" them generally results in an inferior engine.

I'm making plenty of power on a stock bottom, there's a turbo guy on here running low 11s on a stock short block, and stock bottom ends have been taken into the mid 8 second range at 160ish mph. NO need to build.

Spend the money on a trans, you'll be needing at least 2k worth of trans upgrades to hold a decent turbo setup on one of these things.

Be prepared to shell some serious money.

jeff99gtp

Regular
Sep 9, 2008
i have stock block, and stock heads and my last time out i ran a 11.3@126 on a very badly slipping trans. i have the CT turbo kit with a ST3 turbo cam. i beleive that this set up is capable for 10s.

and for the trans, i had a local member install all of my hard parts that i bought and then he went in and installed a really good shift kit that he made himself. and i love it! just wish i went with some upgraded clutches earlier so i dont have to take out my trans now. ohh well though.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Honestly, I only use CGP for the for sale section. I always assumed most guys ran a cam with a turbo. Turbo's won't hit the Bonneville scene til about 2010 and won't be accepted until 2013.

hahah all good.

truthfully tho, there is ALOT of good info in the turbo section on CGP, not anywhere as much BS as other sections

but yes, I think Charles from DHP went 11.7? with CT kit and rockers? i know shoreguyoc went 11.9s with ct kit and 1.9s... i mean yeah rockers are an okay route for surely... GT-er went 12.4s? fullweight/streettires with rockers and a pieced together turbo kit.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
hahah all good.

truthfully tho, there is ALOT of good info in the turbo section on CGP, not anywhere as much BS as other sections

but yes, I think Charles from DHP went 11.7? with CT kit and rockers? i know shoreguyoc went 11.9s with ct kit and 1.9s... i mean yeah rockers are an okay route for surely... GT-er went 12.4s? fullweight/streettires with rockers and a pieced together turbo kit.

I dont think charles ever hit 11's. Knieval i believe was the one that hit 11.7 or 11.6 on rockers with the ct kit. Turbo tim i think did a 11.5 with 1.7 rockers back before he went cammed and hit 10's. There are tons of low 12 second passes that could have been an 11 without much problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info