3800 P0420 code again

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Haven't had this code pop up in about 5 months, but it came back today. Low cat threshold bank 1...whatever. I have done the trick to lenghtening my rear 02 sensor, but apparently it's not helping. Car is running great from what i can tell, so i just want this code deleted altogether since it's practically worthless.

Anythoughs?

This is on a 2005 gp ps

Thanks!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Haven't had this code pop up in about 5 months, but it came back today. Low cat threshold bank 1...whatever. I have done the trick to lenghtening my rear 02 sensor, but apparently it's not helping. Car is running great from what i can tell, so i just want this code deleted altogether since it's practically worthless.

Anythoughs?

This is on a 2005 gp ps

Thanks!

Pay for the credits and i'll delete it for you via hptuners if you want.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Pay for the credits and i'll delete it for you via hptuners if you want.

Credits? i'm confused? If i could meet up with you sometime to delete it, that would be awesome though!

Also, i've got a dhp in there, not sure what version but i figure this is what could be causing it. It seems to only pop up in cold weather, b/c i had the same problem last winter.

John

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
its not a bad cat. its in Oxygen Sensor bank 1, before the cat.

its from the extra air with headers usually, makes it think the oxygen sensor is bad

the balts throw the same code

:picard:
it's cat inefficiency bank 1. there is a difference between the terms "bank one" and "sensor 1"
there is only one cat on a grand prix, and only one set of O2 sensors, therefore there is only one bank.
unless he has an exhaust leak at one of the headers there wont be any more air going across the sensor.
Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs).

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
it shouldnt be wacked out by your DHP, something else is up. has your exhaust system been touched lately? also, how many miles are on the car?

Nope, it's a stock exhaust minus the tips (which doesn't matter)

I had this happen about 7 months ago after putting in the dhp, and did the anti-spark plug fouler trick to lengthen my O2 sensor and it hasn't popped up since then:nuts:

All of a sudden it pops back on a week ago, i deleted it, and it's back on again...

Car has about 64,000 miles on it, mostly all highway

Even if i do have a bad cat is that going effect anything? If i delete the code then it won't throw emissions right?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
After doing some extensive reading i've come to this conclusion. I need someone with a scan tool to read my rear 02's while my car is on to see if it's operating correctly (which if it is, it sounds like my cat might be bad) otherwise it's just my rear 02 being a huge bitch. If that's the case then i need it deleted.

Anyone in the area that can do this???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info