3800 Rich Misfire? Need opinions with the car

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm getting a random shuddering/misfire during boost that seems to be triggered during aggressive throttle stabs. If I gradually ease into the throttle it runs pretty strong, but if I'm cruising at 40 mph and stomp on it, the car will fall on its face.

I know looking at the narrowband isn't the best way to check a/f, but it's all I've got now. Looks like I'm running pretty rich with 02s sometimes in the 950-960 range at WOT, so is this enough to cause a rich misfire? Sometimes it will run at WOT without the shudder, other times it will fall on its face. When I pulled the plugs on Sunday there was fuel around the base of the plugs but the plugs looked good otherwise.

I'm going to check the wires tomorrow -- well, I guess today -- and maybe throw a new set of plugs/wires in there. 1.9 Rockers, 90# springs, alt rewire and caspers fuel pump rewire just went on the car as well.

I don't think I'm going to run the car on Sunday unless I can get this figured out.

The first scan is with the occurrence, the second scan is without. It would be nice if all I need is a tune, but just wanted to throw this out there. Thanks.

http://scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=5495

http://scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=5496

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Your getting some pretty hefty KR for your mods. kinda like my car :(

Honestly, I think at your mod level, a custom tune is needed. From looking at the scan the first thing I see is the LTFT's locking in at ~9. (Thats pretty bad) You want to get the trims at idle, part throttle, cruise, WOT as close to zero as possible.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Yes, I realize that, but I'm wondering if the rich condition could be causing this misfire I'm experiencing.

Im not sure, I would also would like to know many how rich your car has to run for it to effect knock.

Blowngp, I just realized u got like the exact same mods as bruGTP. sit heads!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Idle is pretty smooth. A blip here and there, but it did that blip long before this problem popped up.

I've got new wires, plugs and belts I'm going to slap on here in a little while. I'm letting the car cool down right now.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Per usual, Mr Ron V guessed it right off the bat. Plug wires were shot. I took them off and ohm'd them out, and many were showing much higher resistance than the new ones. Plugs looked pretty good but I threw a fresh set in there just in case.

The wires were new at the beginning of the summer but have been on/off the car a few times for miscellaneous mods and check-ups, and I guess they don't like to be fiddled with, even when newer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info