WTB Daily beater under $800

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
anything $800 is going to need $500 in work to make it not a death trap

I'd say you'd be damn lucky if you only needed $500 worth of work into it to make it safe and usable.

Years ago (back in 2004) I didn't want to drive my brand new car through winter and bought a $500 1990 Toyota Celica. It very badly needed 4 tires, a clutch (yes it was a 5spd manual), a new battery, brakes at all 4 corners, and misc. other stuff like VC gasket that eventually added up to over $800 with doing my own labor of course. I drove it 4 and a half months through winter and sold it in spring for $1000 to the next person right when the radio crapped out and the rear suspension was needing to get replaced along with the headlights stuck in the up position all the time. (I had it advertised for $1200 but realized it was a bit unrealistic with needing more work and no functional radio) It was also really nasty rusty btw but it worked and never left me stranded AFTER fixing stuff...

^ hell, that thing was so freakin ugly I never even locked it (which was another issue I never addressed... sticky locks which really didn't like to work at all in frigid temps)

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
:rofl: omg i didnt even read that. i just saw that it doesn't have a roof, or a back wall to the cab of it... but yeah. also a blown motor.

sounds solid for 1500 :rofl:

"I know what this is worth and won't accept lowball offers, I will store it instead"

This guy sounds like that jackhole that will have it up for $2,500 in the spring because he feels like he should recoup his storage fees.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
"I know what this is worth and won't accept lowball offers, I will store it instead"

This guy sounds like that jackhole that will have it up for $2,500 in the spring because he feels like he should recoup his storage fees.

I've seen running and driving dually yota campers that were complete runners for under $2k, more than once. Doesn't help the OP though.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I bought a 97 Cavalier for $400 a while back and that thing lasted me at least 4 years. It needed nothing when I bought it but I replaced the PS pump and the tires over the owner ship. Then sold it on for $500. It had rust, but nothing that made it unsafe. There are deals out there, just have to find them.

Then again, this is the winter beater buying season, probably should have looked in the spring when everyone is offloading them.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Exactly ^^^ I bought my current winter car which is a SUPER clean Accord 4dr for $2k whilst the market was flooded. Has new everything, I doubt it would anything but oil changes for at least 50k miles. Pay a little more for something that's really nice and you won't have to put anything into it in the long run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info