For Sale sections/Wanted Sections

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Can we update and write some better policies for this area? In the last month I've noticed an increase in just terrible For Sale ads. Wanted ads aren't as bad. The "rules" are spelled out, but I feel need to be updated so that the ads being put up are improved and have more information so that members don't have 15 posts asking for it. All it does it create more posts than needed and take up space in the end.

To piggy back, can we clean up that area as well? I'm not necessarily saying we need to rule with an iron fist, but other boards I'm a member of have a much better for sale system and it's policed and enforced. You suck at writing an ad? It's deleted or locked, try again.

Just my 2 cents. The board here is growing, so we'll see an increase of this.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I have no idea as to how this may work. This is purely a suggestion and intended to help with the brainstorming for this site.

How about asking a few trusted people to help out the mods in various sections. This might make their jobs a bit easier. However, I like the idea of NOT being able to post in the For Sale section until you have proven that you are a legit member. One way is to have a certain number of posts.

I don't know if you can do this [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION], but can you assign some sort of grading system to certain sections? Such as, I know there is a thread about increasing you post count quickly. There are also a few technical sections or threads. I'm normally only in the 3800 and G.M Tech section, so I can only speak of those. However, some of the threads have a LOT more merit than others.

For example, In the 3800 thread, there are (these are linked) :

- http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/3800-discussion/125202-turbo-3800s-pieces-crap-ps-kj-likes-dudes.htmlOfficial ClubGP Lulz Thread
- http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/3800-discussion/47363-official-clubgp-lulz-thread.html

Some of these posts in these threads are junk and pretty much worthless, however, sometimes people have legit questions and are looking for help, feedback or otherwise. Such as in these threads (again, these are linked):

- http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/3800-discussion/129055-info-riveria.html
- http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/3800-discussion/130340-its-starting-get-hot-my-ac-out.html

You already have the "LIKE" button, so perhaps this could add validity to the post, or perhaps we could rate a post as positive or negative. This would add to the members validity, as well as allow them more freedom to post in certain area's - specifically the for sale or wanted area.

I'm not a computer geek, and (AGAIN) I have no idea as to how this may work. This is purely a suggestion and intended to help with the brainstorming for this site.

One thing is for sure, I feel the people who are posting and have been on here for a while WANT to see this forum continue and prosper. Any comments or concerns to my ideas are MORE than welcome!!!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Carter (GT50FACE) is petitioning to be a mod of the section.

Im debating the idea...which would essentially solve the problems you have (and I agree with).

I like where your heads at, still think though that some revamping of the rules should be looked at. For instance I can't believe you are allowed to post an ad without the mileage of your vehicle.

Kind of agree with Doc in that you should have a mininum number of posts before being able to POST a new thread in the section. I don't have a problem with replies, but starting a new thread in there with zero posts can be a huge red flag. I see people spamming the crap out of each and every board Craigslist style only to never return again for their ONE for sale ad on their car. That's crap.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Price
Open to offers or firm on price

I also think a picture should be almost required. 99% of the people have a camera on their phone. It shouldn't be an issue.

The problem with limiting access to a few posts is then you get a bunch of spam bs posts. I'd rather just see mr. forumballs take care of those 1 fs post and done people.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
What info do you guys think should be required to be included by a seller?

What restrictions on buyers/lookers posts?

I say if in "For Sale" section, poster MUST have (in order of importance):

- Price!!!
- Discription of part / car / item for sale.
- General Location (not exact information).
- Picture.

*** On top of the fact the poster needs to be a CURRENT and verified (however that is to be determined) member or user ***

I say if in "Wanted" section, poster MUST have:

- Discription of part / car / item wanted / needed.
- Application for the part (like if it's for an LS powered car, or part should fit a Foxbody, etc.)
- (OPTIONAL) if the poster could provide some sort of picture, but not required.

*** On top of the fact the poster needs to be verified as an active member ***

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I would think a minimum of 10-25 posts before you can create a thread in the section. Replies are fine whenever.

Also at least for vehicle sales add some requirements in. Right now it's just location and price. At that point I could make a thread that says: Pontiac Grand Prix, 10K, Wheaton, IL..... Done.

I would add, you need to include: mileage, model, color, and also a picture or at least say pictures are available upon request. Although I realize maybe not everyone has a digital camera or phone, but I still think ONE picture or the availability of a picture is almost a must on an internet forum where sales aren't necessarily point of sale. Also would be nice to include if the car is leased/paid off/owned by bank/lien on it.

I'm just shooting out ideas.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I'm not making minimum posts a requirement. I am 100% against it. It would obviously solve most problems but I absolutely HATE it on other sites and its just something I have no desire to do on here.

Lots of good stuff in the thread tho, keep it coming.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I would think a minimum of 10-25 posts before you can create a thread in the section. Replies are fine whenever.

Also at least for vehicle sales add some requirements in. Right now it's just location and price. At that point I could make a thread that says: Pontiac Grand Prix, 10K, Wheaton, IL..... Done.

I would add, you need to include: mileage, model, color, and also a picture or at least say pictures are available upon request..../ /.... Also would be nice to include if the car is leased/paid off/owned by bank/lien on it.

I'm just shooting out ideas.

Good idea! If you have access to the internet, then you should have some sort of access to post pictures, or at least link pictures to the post via photobucket or similar service.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I'm not making minimum posts a requirement. I am 100% against it. It would obviously solve most problems but I absolutely HATE it on other sites and its just something I have no desire to do on here.

Lots of good stuff in the thread tho, keep it coming.

OK....well, that problem is solved! Your forum...your rules!

How about policing that part of the forum, to reduce spam. Instead of one mod, how about having some sort of hierarchy. One member or moderator who has absolute authority, then also several members or moderators who have similar abilities to police the posts, but will need another to modify the posts.

Sort of like signing on a business checking account. You might have one person authorized to make a large withdrawal, but in order to make a similar withdrawal, you'll need 2 or 3 signers.

Thread Info