2018 FORD F-150 POWER STROKE DIESEL FIRST LOOK: New light-duty diesel best economy

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
2018 Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel First Look: Lionhearted - Motor Trend

2018-Ford-F-150-Diesel-in-red.jpg

looks SO good.

This spring Ford will introduce a new flagship engine to its perennial best-selling and recent Motor Trend Truck-of-the-Year-winning F-150 pickup lineā€”a 3.0-liter 250-hp, 440-lb-ft Power Stroke turbodiesel V-6 capable of hauling 2,020 pounds or towing 11,400. We asked what took so long because Ford essentially started work on this ā€œDuratorq/Lionā€ series engine in 1999 and has been building and selling it since 2004 (in Jaguars, Land Rovers, Peugeots, CitroĆ«ns, and an Aussie Ford SUV). In response, engineers downplayed the association with these earlier engines, claiming that North American diesel engineers from the 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 program thoroughly redesigned it, and when pressed on the timing they suggested that the stars have only just fully aligned with the arrival of the 10-speed automatic in the aluminum truck.

So how new is this ā€œlion-heartedā€ engine? The compacted graphite iron block and 16.1:1 compression ratio carry over, but the crankshaft, crank and rod bearings, fuel injection system, turbocharger, and exhaust crossover pipe all required re-engineering to withstand the more severe duty cycle this engine was expected to face in an F-150. The crank receives different machining and heat treatment to increase its strength, and the bearing material alloy is altered to improve durability. Common-rail fuel injection pressure increases from 26,100 to 29,000 psi, and multiple pilot-injection events reduce the idle clatter that plagues many diesels. The single Honeywell variable-nozzle turbocharger is revised to better withstand sustained high heavy loads (such as towing 11,400 pounds up the Davis Dam), with boost pressure peaking around 20-22 psi. That crossover pipe gets new metallurgy and a redesign of its accordionlike flexible section in anticipation of greater thermal cycling. All in, with a 6.5-quart oil sump, the new engine weighs 620 poundsā€”about 150 more than the aluminum 3.5-liter EcoBoost.

These reinforcements lower peak output by 4 hp and 3 lb-ft relative to the Land Rover Discovery variant, which makes 254 hp at 3,750 rpm (500 rpm higher than the Ford engineā€™s peak) and 443 lb-ft at 1,750 rpm (same as Fordā€™s). Powertrain warranty coverage matches that of the F-150ā€™s other engines: five years/60,000 milesā€”a year and 10,000 miles longer than Land Roverā€™s.

Fuel economy figures are not yet available, but weā€™re told the engine is on track to meet its target of a 30-mpg highway rating, besting the 2017 Ram EcoDieselā€™s 27 mpg. The new-for-2019 Ram 1500ā€™s diesel offering will trail Fordā€™s to market, probably by just enough to ensure definitive leapfrogging of power, torque, payload, and towing ratings. (In 2017 the ratings were 240 hp, 420 lb-ft, 1,590 and 9,210 pounds, and the new Wrangler fitment of this engineā€™s successor makes 260 hp and 442 lb-ft.) Helping to achieve that lofty highway rating is an auto start/stop system, separate grille shutters for the radiator and the charge-air cooler, and cooled exhaust-gas recirculation. A retrograde economy move, but one deemed essential for cooling at max load, is a mechanical cooling fan capable of drawing about twice the air any currently available 12-volt electric fan system can. At least a visco-electric clutch reduces most of its drag when itā€™s not needed.

Aft of the engine, Power Stroke F-150s get a strengthened flywheel ring gear to cope with auto start/stop, a toughened torque converter, and revised axle ratios (the 10 transmission ratios are shared with other F-150 fitments). This 3.0-liter doesnā€™t get a ā€œJake brakeā€ exhaust retarder like its 6.7-liter sibling, but gearing is such that descending the Davis Dam with an 11,400-pound trailer requires minimal brake-pedal application. A 5.4-gallon diesel-emissions fluid tank should last 10,000 miles. Interior changes are limited to a DEF gauge, some optional diesel information screens borrowed from the 6.7L Power Stroke models, and a water-level warning light for the water-separating fuel filter.

Ford will start taking orders for the 3.0-liter Power Stroke (in the U.S. and Canada only for now) this month, with deliveries expected in Spring 2018. Retail customers will be able to order the engine on Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trim levels on SuperCrew cabs with 5.5- or 6.5-foot beds or on Lariat SuperCabs with a 6.5- or 8.0-foot bed. The option will add $4,000 to the Lariat trim price (which includes a standard 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6), or $3,000 to the two higher trim levels (which get a 5.0-liter V-8 as standard). In both cases the diesel price represents a $2,400 premium over the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6. Fleet customers only will be able to order the engine on XL and XLT SuperCab or SuperCrew cabs with 6.5- or 8.0-foot beds (fleet pricing wasnā€™t shared).

Bottom line: Ford expects the Power Stroke to account for roughly 5 percent of sales and to sell to folks who expect to tow frequently. Some simple math using current national average prices for regular unleaded and diesel fuel suggests that unladen highway driving in a 30-mpg Power Stroke could pay back the $2,400 premium over the equally tow-capable 3.5-liter EcoBoost in as little as 21-25,000 miles (based on that engineā€™s 21-25-mpg highway rating in various fitments). Engineers tell us that payback speeds up by a factor of five when towing a heavy trailer. Stay tuned for the eagerly anticipated Ford/Ram diesel Head-2-Head.

2018 Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel First Look: Lionhearted - Motor Trend

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Bet Ford manages to do this without getting sued by the EPA too. The engine options in their trucks are on point. The only thing i don't understand is why neither RAM nor ford offers the light duty diesel in the lower trims (express/tradesman for RAM, XLT for ford). I wonder if it's a production capacity thing.

Hopefully it's reliable

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Bet Ford manages to do this without getting sued by the EPA too. The engine options in their trucks are on point. The only thing i don't understand is why neither RAM nor ford offers the light duty diesel in the lower trims (express/tradesman for RAM, XLT for ford). I wonder if it's a production capacity thing.

Hopefully it's reliable

My friend has a tradesman EcoDiesel, I know it's ommitted on certain packages but you can get a low optioned one. They'll probably offer it in XL trim, which, shy of leather you can load the shit out of an XL now a days.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I don't know shit about diesels, but 16.1 : 1 compression ratio is nuts! Also I rented a 3.5 EcoBoost with the auto start/stop feature and it BLOWS. I hated the feeling off of the line, I had to keep remembering to turn it off.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
I don't know shit about diesels, but 16.1 : 1 compression ratio is nuts! Also I rented a 3.5 EcoBoost with the auto start/stop feature and it BLOWS. I hated the feeling off of the line, I had to keep remembering to turn it off.

Its easy to turn auto start/stop off so you dont have to push the button every time with forscan.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Its easy to turn auto start/stop off so you dont have to push the button every time with forscan.

If I ever got into a newer version of any car with that feature I would have to do that.

I honestly do not see how it could be more efficient to restart the car at every light. It seems like it would cause a lot of unneeded stress & premature wear on the flexplate/starter.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
If I ever got into a newer version of any car with that feature I would have to do that.

I honestly do not see how it could be more efficient to restart the car at every light. It seems like it would cause a lot of unneeded stress & premature wear on the flexplate/starter.

Not really. Everything newer fires off so quickly and things are made incredibly now.

Just had this discussion on another forum. GF's Highlander has it and we use it all the time when sitting at a light or train

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If your waiting that long it'll usually turn back on for HVAC or your leg will tire cause it does take quite a bit more pressure on the pedal

Our Cooper has it, and its actuated via the Clutch, so it has much better control over when it actually needs to start back up again (You can take your foot on and off the brake, set the parking brake, etc, car stays off until you punt the clutch).

My wife hates it, I don't mind it at all, the second you touch the clutch pedal it fires off, so you rarely ever have that weird 'lugging' sensation that a lot of automatic Stop/Start cars have.

That being said; even with it on, the car NEVER turns off below freezing.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
My friend has a tradesman EcoDiesel, I know it's ommitted on certain packages but you can get a low optioned one. They'll probably offer it in XL trim, which, shy of leather you can load the shit out of an XL now a days.

lariat, king ranch and platinum only from what I have read, we are only getting a few diesel f150s for the year

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info