F250 vs Chevy 2500hd

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So looking to be in the market for a truck in the next year. Not a daily driver and mostly for towing racecar flatbed trailer/diy work/possible small boat in the next few years. There is the chance I would tow a 26 foot enclosed trailer for our lemons/chump races 1-3 times a year but we currently do that with a Chevy tahoe so I figure anything bigger would be safer.

I have mostly been poking around at Chevy 2500hd's as they have the 6.0 in them. Ext/Crew cab long bed seems to make the most sense but harder to find. Is there any strong reason I should be going the Ford route here that I am missing?

Not doing this immediately as I am still saving. Rough Budget in my mind is 4-7k. Am I being reasonable with this?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Gasser ford Super-duties in that price range will all be 5.4's, and will be DOGS unfortunately.

If you can shell out for a 6.2 truck (2011+), that would be a stout ford choice, but I think those are quite a bit more $$$$.

Another option is that Chevy 1500HD's, or GMC Denali pickups both have the 6.0 as well, and seem more common in 4 door trim.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm a GM guy, so I prefer GM trucks, including a 2500HD I have had in the past. You will be hard to get objective viewpoints because many are brand loyal to either camp. :D

There are plussess and minussess to both. I would say if you're sticking to gas (based on your budget), GM's gasser's are the better option. If you can find a diesel in that range, that might tip toward the ford. The ford guys will counter with GM's IFS vs. solid axle. But the torsion bars can always be cranked up when needed on the GM's.

Again, six of one, half dozen of another.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Gasser ford Super-duties in that price range will all be 5.4's, and will be DOGS unfortunately.

If you can shell out for a 6.2 truck (2011+), that would be a stout ford choice, but I think those are quite a bit more $$$$.

Another option is that Chevy 1500HD's, or GMC Denali pickups both have the 6.0 as well, and seem more common in 4 door trim.

Also the 8.1L Big Block is an option on the GMT800's. However, it will include the Allison and might not be in that price range listed unless it's a regular cab, low trim truck. But it is an option in those years.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
GM 2500 6.0 > Ram 2500 5.7 > Ford 250 5.4 In that order. I put an assload of miles on 5.4's though and they will get the job done.

Early Ram 5.7's reliability is actually not all that stellar, I'd steer clear of them in the price range he's looking at, and would recommend the 5.4 over them in the 4-7K neighborhood. (And that's not even thinking about the Rust issues).

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I'd probably go the route of the 2500hd, I would think it tough to find something decent in that price range though unless your buying it down south, that's pretty much what I wanted and settled for the v10 excursion pretty much just for the price and size, it's been a good truck though for the last 3 years

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Truck only, wife has no interest in suburban/excursions otherwise I would have bought my buddies mint one a year ago. Fit so much drywall in that thing.

Half tons aren't completely out of the question but the wife prefers the 3/4 ton ones.

So poking around a I see some ads with trucks with transfercase pump issues. This is the issue where it tries eat through the outside of the case right? How common is this and what sort of damage am I looking at for fixing it? I see some kits from google that say they can fix it for cheap.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-ford-f350-73l-diesel/6341963812.html

00d0d_9CKOdt6kBD_1200x900.jpg

Got a 2000 Ford F350 Super Duty Super Cab with a long bed, the 7.3L diesel engine, leather seats, tow package and a tall pickup shell with bedliner. It's a two-wheel drive model with 142xxx miles, LOTS of life left in it.

Extremely well maintained as a fleet vehicle and has NO known mechanical issues with the motor or transmission. Fires right up, brakes well and will pass inspection with flying colors. 3 tires are in great shape with lots of tread remaining, one has more age on it but holds air just fine. Interior floor is covered with nice aftermarket floor mats.

No rusted or damaged paint on the vehicle, no significant body damage.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
GM hands down in that price bracket. You won't find a 6.2 ford for that money like Das said. I've been starting to favor the super duty chassis lately because I plow with these trucks and I like a solid axle. I've also ran GM trucks for years and they just take a beating. If 3500 GM's were SFA I wouldn't have ever bought my first super duty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info