Opinions on Jeep Grand Cherokee

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
V8 or I6?

I6 will last forever. I had a v8 with 165k and it was awesome minus the front seal leak on the trans and the fact the timing chain, yes chain, needed replacement.

They are also know for throwing rocker arms. Mine did that but I was able to fix it myself.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
I got rid of my v8 grand cherokee a couple years ago. They were awesome vehicles, other than little problems here and there. I had to replace a ton of cheap/easy shit in the car. But it will run and drive forever.

My parents bought a newer Hemi overland grand cherokee and i love that vehicle. Thinking of picking one of those up for myself.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the I6 is a little bit of a unicorn unless you get a stripped out base model. whats your price range?

the issues emerson mentioned are common. also, the all time 4wd quadra-drive transfer case is usually toast at "higher" mileage. usually anything over 100k the clutches inside shit out leaving you with no 4wd.
the hvac blend door breaks, leaving you with no heat. pulling the dash to fix it sucks, but there's a kit out there to cut the heater box apart to replace.

watch for rocker rust, and brake line rust.

i had a 2000 limited w/ the v8 and selec-trac transfer case. also had a 2" lift w/ 31" tires. drove it for 8 years and never had an issue, until the end anyway. the heater core started leaking, timing chains were making noise on startup, and everything was rusting out. needless to say i traded it in :rofl: it was a great truck though, and i miss it at times.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
the I6 is a little bit of a unicorn unless you get a stripped out base model. whats your price range?

the issues emerson mentioned are common. also, the all time 4wd quadra-drive transfer case is usually toast at "higher" mileage. usually anything over 100k the clutches inside shit out leaving you with no 4wd.

Which 4WD system should I look for?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
I've been looking at getting a 1999 - 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was wondering if anyone could chime in on their experiences with or opinions of this truck.

Thanks.

If you're 16 and do a lot of brake stands, your parents will think it has an issue with sticking calipers. Lol. Lots of brake dust on one rear wheel.

Don't ask me how I know.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
Looked @ a 1999 V8 Limited Quadra Trak with 188k on the clock. Guy says mostly highway miles. Drove it and everything seemed fine except for a whining noise coming from the rear end. You guys have any idea on what was making this noise? The seller says he'll let it go for $1350.

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info