Ford Super Duty & Medium Duty trucks getting a new gas engine

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Report: Ford Super Duty to Get New Gas Engine - PickupTrucks.com News

It may take a few years, but Ford Super Duty (F-250 to F-550) and medium-duty (F-650 and F-750) pickup trucks look like they'll be getting a new torque-heavy 7.0-liter V-8 or V-10 gas engine. And all we can say is that it's about time.

With roots going all the way back to 1997, the 6.8-liter Triton V-10 has been the engine choice for several generations of Super Duty pickups, quite a few E-Series chassis cab and cutaway vans, and many motorhome chassis. It even played a role in the ill-fated Ford Excursion SUV. But now, according to Reuters, it looks like the Essex Engine Plant in Ontario, Canada, will get a $700 million investment to bring the workhorse V-10 engine into the modern age.

We have little information about the new gas engine or any possible upgraded transmission it's likely to be mated to, but we're guessing the motor will benefit from many of the same mpg-stretching fuel economy technologies we've seen in other Ford motors recently. So, we expect it to provide more horsepower and torque while achieving better empty and loaded fuel economy numbers over the engine it's replacing. More to come.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
raw

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
This is good news, especially for the RV folks. That V10 needed to rev to make power, and since you're basically sitting on top of or right next to the motor in a Class A RV, that was not a good thing.

I hope they redo the F53 chassis as well so it doesn't ride and handle like crap at the same time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is good news, especially for the RV folks. That V10 needed to rev to make power, and since you're basically sitting on top of or right next to the motor in a Class A RV, that was not a good thing.

I hope they redo the F53 chassis as well so it doesn't ride and handle like crap at the same time.

:werd: my buddy is a medium/HD truck mechanic shop owner and his personal RV has the v10- he can get 8mpgs around 70 mph too... which isn't bad for a 32' barn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info