Thinking about a used Navigator..

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Alas, my beloved 2001 Pathfinder is dead. I need an SUV to move stuff around in and I was thinking of getting a 2003-4 Lincoln Navigator. I've seen a few with about 90-120k miles for around $5k or so. Can anyone chime in on these trucks and tell me what I should look out for?

Thanks

[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] knows these like the back of his hand.

I'm probably one of the big "Ford SUV" guys on the boards; yea.

Any reason why you want a Navigator? Most of them are REALLY ragged to be honest, and they still have the whole Spark Plug issue.

I'm a big fan of the Pre 2004 Expeditions because they are still solid rear axle, and can be had disposably cheap with the 5.4.

As @Bikrboy already corrected me on; late 90's 4.6/5.4s are prone to spitting plugs, then early/mid 00's are prone to cracking plugs in half when trying to remove them from the heads.

So long as they have some level of service history, its not a problem, and its common enough that even if it happens, its usually not apocalyptic and a skilled shop with the right tools can recover from it.

Other issues that are common on that chassis is the rear control arms rot out and are flimsy to begin with

You can see some of what I tackled with my last Expedition here:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/member-rides-sightings/130477-das-tow-pig.html

Over-all VERY easy to work on, and very robust trucks, but they are prone to rotting out like every other large SUV in the mid-west, but they can be had for thousands less than a comparable Tahoe/Burban and are every bit as capable.

MAKE NO MISTAKE, A Tahoe or Burban is a better truck, (coming FROM a Ford guy), but they do have a price premium over the comparable fords. I keep ending up in Fords because their price of entry is so much lower, and at the end of the day they can still tackle the same tasks when needed.

Last note here, 3rd gen Explorers with the V-8 built after 2003 are exceptionally stout trucks as well, and you could get a cherry example of one for under $3k. I'm a HUGE fan of 2nd gen Explorers (and have one as my DD), and push them on everyone, but if you'r looking at Navigators I assume you have a larger/more common hauling need?

If you DON'T need to haul crazy things, you can get send gen V-8 explorers all day long for around a grand... V-8 Second Gen Explorers really only have 2 common issues, front suspension components are often neglected and cause bad camber wear (Control arms, ball joints), and Rust that hides under running boards, or in the Rockers. The SBF 5.0 and 4R70W are nearly bullet-proof so long as people keep fluids in them.

Here's my current DD:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...de-mistake-aka-dasfinc-has-mental-issues.html

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
If you find a dirt cheap 3rd Gen Expedition, they are great trucks. Had one for awhile, and it was extremely solid. The 6RXX transmission REALLY transforms these. The 4 and 5 speed trucks are straight dogs...I've driven a few combinations of 5.4 with 4, 5, and 6 speeds. The 6RXX transmissions work wonders. Still have to watch out for the spark plug issues (getting stuck), and there's a timing chain issue (never ran into with mine) but they are fairly bulletproof. They'll even tow like 9K pounds with the towing package, IRS be damned.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
My neighbor had an 03, and the solenoid in the shifter that released the pin to shift into reverse or drive can and will go bad, and we ended up finding a guy on ebay that refurbishes the entire shifter assembly for the paltry price of $400.00.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
Any reason why you want a Navigator?
They all come equipped with leather and a sunroof. Plus the center console shifter is nice.

I'm a big fan of the Pre 2004 Expeditions because they are still solid rear axle, and can be had disposably cheap with the 5.4.
I'm going to look at an '04 Expedition today. It has 142k on the clock and the guy claims it has a recently rebuilt engine and trans. Asking $4200.

Last note here, 3rd gen Explorers with the V-8 built after 2003 are exceptionally stout trucks as well, and you could get a cherry example of one for under $3k. I'm a HUGE fan of 2nd gen Explorers (and have one as my DD), and push them on everyone, but if you'r looking at Navigators I assume you have a larger/more common hauling need?
I'm a property owner and a sometimes mobile DJ - so I need to move things like stoves, fridges, dishwashers, washing machines, subwoofers, etc. Having something with cargo space makes my life easier..

If you DON'T need to haul crazy things, you can get send gen V-8 explorers all day long for around a grand... V-8 Second Gen Explorers really only have 2 common issues, front suspension components are often neglected and cause bad camber wear (Control arms, ball joints), and Rust that hides under running boards, or in the Rockers. The SBF 5.0 and 4R70W are nearly bullet-proof so long as people keep fluids in them.

Here's my current DD:

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...de-mistake-aka-dasfinc-has-mental-issues.html
Thanks for the sage advice. I appreciate it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
They all come equipped with leather and a sunroof. Plus the center console shifter is nice.

You'd be surprised the take rate on 'premium' trim level Explorers and Expeditions (Limited/Eddie Bauers etc), and they are old enough that it doesn't really impact their value.

I'm a property owner and a sometimes mobile DJ - so I need to move things like stoves, fridges, dishwashers, washing machines, subwoofers, etc. Having something with cargo space makes my life easier..

I'd have to hate myself pretty badly to move appliances outside of a Microwave in an SUV to be honest, especially a 'nice' one.

Ever consider a conversion van? I love my in-laws 2008 Chevy Express conversion van, all the seats come out and you can fill it with Crap, but its like a party-bus with all the seats in it. They are silly cheap used for what they are capable of.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I feel like the Pre-Pentastar driveline was known for leaks and weak transmissions?

I mean, there was an issue with headgaskets, but I'm not sure how late that went. The transmission, well, that's a common Chrysler thing. Weak transmissions on their bread and butter. But if you're just dailying it, shouldn't be an issue. We have an '05 as our work beater. Transmission has always been kind of funky, but aside from some consistent brake squeal and a couple issues with the front ABS sensor, it's been rock solid. We've loaded that MFer to the bump stops with worksurfaces, driven it to Columbus and Indianapolis loaded to the gills. It just keeps taking punishment, more than it probably should. It kind of sucks to drive, but as an appliance, it gets the job done.

Nay_Sayer

Regular
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2017
Ever consider a conversion van? I love my in-laws 2008 Chevy Express conversion van, all the seats come out and you can fill it with Crap, but its like a party-bus with all the seats in it. They are silly cheap used for what they are capable of.
Shit, if you can deal with a minivan...the Chrysler stow and go's can store a whole bunch of stuff.

Yeah, but I need a 4WD vehicle. The City doesn't snow plow the alleys in Chicago and I need something that can get out of the garage when it's thick..

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yeah, but I need a 4WD vehicle. The City doesn't snow plow the alleys in Chicago and I need something that can get out of the garage when it's thick..

Toyota Sienna is available in AWD as far back as 04 it looks like?

Town and Countries are available in AWD in some trim levels

So are Chevy Uplanders surprisingly.

Chevy Express vans can be had in 4X4, but they are significantly more expensive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info