One tire wearing excessively on my 24' enclosed, wtf?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Sadly, this thread won't start with pictures, because it was dark when I found this out last night. However.... I have one tire (of 4) on my trailer which has excessive tread wear on the inner side of the tire tread. The three good tires have full tread still, while this one tire has consumed all tread and is basically bald across 80% of the tread surface, with just the outer tread block still mostly intact.

I checked the wheels/bearings by jacking up the trailer and spinning the tires and checking them for excessive bearing play. Nothing stuck out to me.

I thought it could possibly be a bent axle? But eyeballing the wheel compared to the other on the same side doesn't make it appear to be any different... so not sure that's the issue.

Another thought was perhaps this one wheel brake is adjusted too strongly and has worn down the tire this badly?

Anyway... looking for suggested next steps. I'm really sort of a trailer noob.

Final option is to Craigslist this pig and move on to an aluminum enclosed. :rofl: Although I'd rather fix it before selling.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I just bought four new trailer tires and aluminum wheels for my hauler. I'll look at what brand they are when I get home. They're not goodyear but they were pretty highly recommended.

I have Goodyear 10-ply's on my 14k GVW equipment trailer but I don't want to loose a tire at 80 with a skid steer either... All relative lol.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Tis a strange situation you have there, Dan. I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but my gut instinct wants to say you have MASSIVE camber issues due to a bent axle.

Agreed, that's what you'd think... but you'd expect it to be something identifiable with an eyeball of the situation, but that's not the case here. I'm honestly wondering if my China tires (originals on this 2015 trailer) are just starting to show their weaknesses... Maybe just this one tire didn't handle the heat during my LONG trailering sessions?

Yesterday I did 3hrs straight @ 81mph just as an example :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
OH and this, just because:

3kJAE09.gif

Dammit China, why you do me like this?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Agreed, that's what you'd think... but you'd expect it to be something identifiable with an eyeball of the situation, but that's not the case here. I'm honestly wondering if my China tires (originals on this 2015 trailer) are just starting to show their weaknesses... Maybe just this one tire didn't handle the heat during my LONG trailering sessions?

Yesterday I did 3hrs straight @ 81mph just as an example :rofl:

yeah that should take it though because there isn't much weight there... or is there? what's the trailer weigh?

i know our tall enclosed work trailer basically only gets pulled at 80+ mph because employees have gas cards. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info