6.0 powerstroke preventative maintenence

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I found an 05 f350 that may be just too good for me to pass up. It's a lariat, crew cab, longbox, auto. Has the 05 front-end suspension that I wanted.

I wouldnt have looked twice at it, but it's super clean. It looks brand new underneath. Either it was from down south, or never driven in the winter.

It has the mounting plates for a 5th wheel, so I'm guessing it was just used by a retired couple to pull a camper around, but I will find out more.

I'm going to see if hP tuners will scan engine oil temp, to try and figure the health of the oil cooler before I buy it.

If this goes through, what kind of coolant filter should I be looking at? And what additive should I run in the summer and winter? How often should I change oil? Synthetic, or can I get away with conventional?

What else can I do to get the most life out of it?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
If it's a southern truck, lift up the front carpet by drivers feet and pop off the black rubber cover and see if there is any signs of sand/dirt from a possible flooding. I've seen a dozen times already.

Sinister coolant filter kit, prestone red elc coolant, oil every 5k if light duty.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Measure coolant pressure, check the degas bottle for cracks and signs of baked on coolant(white stains). After test drive, squeeze upper hose. If hard as a rock probably needs gaskets. If soft, degas cap is probably bad. Replace then retest

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Thanks for responding. On the 03 I had, I used to run 5w40 in the winter months, then switch to 15w40 in the summer.

I will check all of that. Which additive do you recommend dumping in the tank?

And is there anyway I can check to see how healthy the hpop is?

Hpop will be fine. But if you had the right stuff you could monitor actual vs desired ICP. but the later trucks never had any hpop problems besides the fitting blowing out.

I use stanadyne performance year round. Summer blend, performance formula and winter 1000.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Went to look at it tonight. It was parked in it's current spot since sometime Monday. I tried to start it without using the glow plugs. It cranked slow and with just a few turns, the batteries were almost dead. So, I let off the key, then let the glow plugs do their thing, and it started. It was about 60* and rainy all day here. Once running, it was nice and quiet under the hood with no misses.

I took it out on the road and beat on it for awhile. Very little play in the steering, and it's nice a quiet on the highway. I wasn't all that impressed with the power of it though. It felt like it would run 16's or maybe upper 15's. Does that sound right?

On the interior, it's all pretty clean. The foam in the drivers side bottom seat isn't very firm...Looks like it probably needs replaced. It has automatic climate control, and the blower motor doesn't work except when on high. Blower motor resistor? Also, the power sliding rear window doesn't work, and they told me they aren't going to fix it. From the little I could find about it, it sounds like an expensive fix, right?

So, I'm guessing it needs new batteries, unless there is a short somewhere. (Batteries had a 2015 sticker on them, so they are only a year and a half old)

Needs the power sliding window fixed

Needs the blower motor resistor replaced

Needs new foam in the driver's seat

So, I'm guessing it would take $1000 to get it all fixed, if I did it myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info