Jeep Wrangler - looking for advice/ knowledge

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Spent last week out west with my brother, who just picked up a new Jeep Wrangler. We drove it all week and I came away very impressed.

So I am considering picking up a new Wrangler, and need some advice.

Here is the scope of what I'm looking at:

2 door only - I have no interest in the 4 door unlimited regardless of stability, space, whatever; non negotiable.
Auto trans - wife has to be able to drive it.

Loaded models only. In my limited research I can't quite tell the difference between the Sahara or the Rubicon as the top model, but its gotta have all the tech/ premium stereo/ nav/ etc. Price isn't an issue.

Use - 100% daily driver. I drive 75-80 miles per day to/from work. 20k+/ yr.No pure highway miles, so its pretty demanding.

Some specific questions-

Drivetrain:
- How are the 5 speed auto trans? Crap or OK?
- All models have the v6 pentastar. Don't know anything about them- are they troublesome?

Fuel economy:
-Monroney sticker showed 17/21 for the Rubicon I looked at. How are they in real life? FWIW I'm coming from a car that gets 18-19 mpg.

Towing:
Can't imagine the short wheelbase wranglers are great for this, but - Can these tow maybe a waverunner or a snowmobile? I have no idea on tow ratings for these. As part of picking up a 4x4 I would have an increased interest in picking up a pwc

Tech system:
-I can only hope Dodge stuff is better than Ford's sync garbage. Please confirm. Good iPhone integration? How friendly is the nav?

Other:
Trouble spots? Things to be aware of?

Thanks

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The Sahara is an appearance package. Painted flares, top and I think 18" wheels.

As far as the 5 speed and 3.6L engine, I have a friend with a 2013 JK sport and I think he's at 75k now. Everything has been flawless. It sure likes to rev and downshift a lot on mountain passes but that's about it. Has decent power too.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i've seen a handful of the pentastar 3.6ls with bad left cylinder heads. it's a shit design that chrysler knows about but will only warranty them to 100k miles. not sure what year range has this flaw, but it's something to keep in mind.
just last week we sent a 2011 town/country to he dealer with a bad head. it had 99,970 miles. in warranty by the skin of his teeth.

personally i think the wrangler is overpriced garbage for the features and comfort you get. is there a reason you're dead set on a wrangler? there are so many 4wd SUVs in that price range that come loaded with tech, can tow without fear of death, and are way more enjoyable to drive all around than a wrangler.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
personally i think the wrangler is overpriced garbage for the features and comfort you get.

My Brother in law LOVES his, and I couldn't agree more with you...

I've driven a 4 door and 2 door (both in Manual Trans with the Pentistar)

The 4 door was a fully loaded Sahara (nav, leather, etc), One is a pretty bare sport.

Both rode like dump trucks, make all kinds of worrying noises just driving down the road, and generally feel cheap.

Pulling the top off makes it a riot, and they are STUPID capable. But at the end of the day, Minus the removable top and being off-road capable, they are just terrible terrible trucks...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
no denying they are capable and stupid fun off road. but i'd hate myself if i was driving 80 miles a day in a wrangler.

This Times a million.

My Mustang isn't exactly the pillar of luxury, but it gobbles up miles, and even without IRS, it rides like glass compared to a wrangler... All the while I get to enjoy the 'open air' experience without having to own a Chrysler Product :bowrofl:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
My Brother in law LOVES his, and I couldn't agree more with you...

I've driven a 4 door and 2 door (both in Manual Trans with the Pentistar)

The 4 door was a fully loaded Sahara (nav, leather, etc), One is a pretty bare sport.

Both rode like dump trucks, make all kinds of worrying noises just driving down the road, and generally feel cheap.

Pulling the top off makes it a riot, and they are STUPID capable. But at the end of the day, Minus the removable top and being off-road capable, they are just terrible terrible trucks...
If you don't give a fuck about it, sure they're pretty capable but you'll be scraping and bashing every bit of it.

If you're going offroad (other than a dirt road) or planning on modding then don't get a rubicon. You'll be far better off buying a sport and building it and probably end up in a similar dollar amount but with a much better vehicle in the end.

I'd also buy an FJ over a wrangler any day, especially since you don't want a 4 door.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
The Rubicon is considered the more off-road equipped of the 2. I believe it comes with more aggressive tires, electronically disconnecting end links, possibly taller gear ratio.

Daily driven 80 miles, I doubt I'd want one...but I definitely want one as a 2nd way to get around. There's nothing else out there to compare it to in it's price range. Top down doors off weekend fun.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
4Runner TRD Pro for that commute

2015-Toyota-4Runner-TRD-Pro-Series-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

/thread

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The Rubicon is considered the more off-road equipped of the 2. I believe it comes with more aggressive tires, electronically disconnecting end links, possibly taller gear ratio.

Daily driven 80 miles, I doubt I'd want one...but I definitely want one as a 2nd way to get around. There's nothing else out there to compare it to in it's price range. Top down doors off weekend fun.

If off-roading isn't on the docket, there are a TON of better Top-Down options out there.

Or you can go old-school and buy something like a Samarui or Side-Kick on the cheap and have a riot with it for pennys on the dollar.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I feel like KJ and I had this conversation a while back and what drove me to actually buy a Raptor because I was looking at new Wranglers as well.

Fully loaded Rubicon Unlimited was around 48k IIRC? A base Raptor started at 44k with leather. 801A (electronics/convenience package) Raptors were being had for around low/mid 50s. I got mine 52 OTD.

Honestly, you know my thoughts on this. :io:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Smaller diameter "aggressive" tires. An electronic disconnect that breaks easily and has to be operated on perfectly flat ground and even then usually doesn't work. The sport can be had with 3.73's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info