The 2017 Ford F-150's 3.5L EcoBoost Actually Makes More Power Than Expected

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
We reported a few months ago that Ford’s 2017 F-150 was going to debut with a new 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, which was expected to make 365 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque. Well, Ford just called me out of the blue to inform me that their power numbers are actually higher than initial estimates. Great news!

I was at a Ford event a couple months back where they showed off the engine, but only now do they have the official Society of Automotive Engineers numbers. I guess that’s why they gave me a ring.

More power equals more better: it’s known fact among car enthusiasts. So today, when Ford called me saying the new 3.5-liter EcoBoost was SAE certified at 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque—10 horsepower and 20 lb-ft more than initially estimated— I knew the world had become at least a slightly better place.

For reference, the current generation F-150's 3.5-liter EcoBoost makes 365 horses and 420 lb-ft, so this new motor adds 10 ponies and 50 lb-ft. Oh, and speaking of 50 lb-ft, that’s also how much more torque this new EcoBoost makes than Ram’s 3.0-liter diesel.

So yeah, the new engine should be a beast.

We still don’t have word on Raptor horsepower and torque figures, though Ford says those are coming soon. Also, Ford still doesn’t have any info on fuel economy figures, though this engine is being bolted to a 10-speed automatic instead of the outgoing six-speed, so we’d hope for at least some improvement over today’s MPG numbers—whether in the real world or on the label (preferably both).

:ford:

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Wait wait, the 2017 will have duel-fuel capability? Like as in it'll run E85?! :naughty:

My interests are piqued!

Not quite. BUT it'll have Direct Injection AND Port Injection fuel systems. The big upper limit to the EB's currently is running out of injector/pump to support more power.

3.5L-EcoBoost-engine-infographic.jpg

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
They're not good but they're not horrendous. I average'd 18ish this past weekend with 200mi of loaded bed highway driving @ 80-85 and 50mi of very hilly country road 17' boat towing.

But I don't really care about the MPG but more so the ease of load handling up/down grade. [MENTION=5363]Blinkstang[/MENTION] drove his unloaded F150 4.6 3v up the same hills and he had to argue with it a bit to downshift and climb where as my EcoBoost trucks just makes some spool noises and away we go. Both trucks on 33" AT's as well.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
They're not good but they're not horrendous. I average'd 18ish this past weekend with 200mi of loaded bed highway driving @ 80-85 and 50mi of very hilly country road 17' boat towing.

But I don't really care about the MPG but more so the ease of load handling up/down grade. [MENTION=5363]Blinkstang[/MENTION] drove his unloaded F150 4.6 3v up the same hills and he had to argue with it a bit to downshift and climb where as my EcoBoost trucks just makes some spool noises and away we go. Both trucks on 33" AT's as well.

Was his 4.6 3V on a 4 or 5 speed auto?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Ford really hit a home run with the 6R80 transmissions.

Could we see over 500hp and 550lb/ft with the Raptor's EB? :obama:

I'm saying the new Raptor is 450/500...can't be less powerful than the previous gen, but can't go too crazy...I thought the new Raptor motor has more in common with the new GT than the F150's version...I could be wrong though

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Aunt had a '00 Expedition with a 4.6 2v and 4R70. Never again. NEVER. AGAIN.

Then welcome to 2015 where your base truck engines are a 3.5 V6 NA that makes the same power than that 4.6 2v junk without the side effect of 10mpg.

I sort of want to downsize a bit...maybe look at an 06-10 Explorer with the 4.6 3V and a 6R trans...that would be pretty awesome...the Expo I'm in now is just WAY too much vehicle for what I need.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I'm saying the new Raptor is 450/500...can't be less powerful than the previous gen, but can't go too crazy...I thought the new Raptor motor has more in common with the new GT than the F150's version...I could be wrong though

Well if it [possibly] shares more in common with the GT's EB, why wouldn't 500+ be a reality? Detuned, different cams, smaller/lesser turbos but still more power than the normal EB, it could definitely happen.

I'm just waiting for the TT V8 monster that's going be in the GT500 and replace the 3.5 in the Raptor a year after the 2017 is released. :io:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info