2015 Ford F-150 2.7L vs Ram 3.0 1500 Diesel 0-60 MPH Drag Race: EcoBoost vs EcoDiesel

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
What I find interesting is he is doing this at elevation and then says they are the fastest trucks tested.

They tested the other trucks at elevation as well. TFLcar/truck is based out of colorado so almost all their testing is done at 5000' give or take

I'm also not surprised that the '15 2.7TT was faster at 5k than Chevy's 6.2/6spd combo. Turbo's thrive at high elevation.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm also not surprised that the '15 2.7TT was faster at 5k than Chevy's 6.2/6spd combo. Turbo's thrive at high elevation.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone was saying that turbo/supercharged engines, at elevation, receive the same loss of power as N/A vehicles. The air is only so dense, and the turbo can only compress what it has available. I don't know how true that is though...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I can't remember where I read it, but someone was saying that turbo/supercharged engines, at elevation, receive the same loss of power as N/A vehicles. The air is only so dense, and the turbo can only compress what it has available. I don't know how true that is though...

im not gonna lie, i don't believe/understand that.

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL

It changes the RPM of the turbine. Every 1000' is between 1-2% more RPM to move the same amount of air. So loss of power isn't a problem (assuming your turbo can spin fast enough) however the RPM where power is at will be shifted further along.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
It changes the RPM of the turbine. Every 1000' is between 1-2% more RPM to move the same amount of air. So loss of power isn't a problem (assuming your turbo can spin fast enough) however the RPM where power is at will be shifted further along.

Yeah, I had always assumed that the turbo/supercharger wouldn't necessarily lose power, but the turbine would just be much less efficient as it's working harder trying to maintain the same boost/airflow than it would at lower elevation

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
In the 3.5EB case, it's rated at 420lb-ft at ~2500rpm. At elevation you can expect that number closer to ~3200rpm.

If you guys have watched their older videos where they do the max towing tests going up the ike gauntlet 7% grade at 1 mile elevation, the 2014 ecoboost truck seems to be the fastest and bestest. It doesnt seem to struggle like the others. And the 2500 HD ram with the Hemi got slaughtered going up the hill by the huge DA. They were flat footed with it and it was just able to keep 40mph going up the hill. Scary. But the EB F150 with its max, they had to keep letting off other wise it would keep breaking the speed limit. What an impressive truck.

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
What an impressive truck.

I know. I'm excited.

A84lKTt.jpg

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
i like that the new f150's are getting decent offroad tires now too... most auto show trucks had dynapro atm's on them. :fy:

Even with FX4 mine comes with junk ass goodyear fortitudes. The hankook's only come with FX4 and 20's.

No worries though, dealer credit for shit 275/65's and replace with 295/70 ST Maxx's.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Even with FX4 mine comes with junk ass goodyear fortitudes. The hankook's only come with FX4 and 20's.

No worries though, dealer credit for shit 275/65's and replace with 295/70 ST Maxx's.

ah okay.

and how's the dealer credit situation work out?

i had the dynapro's on my suburban and they were fucking awesome. i loved them.

BeerOrGasoline

Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
ah okay.

and how's the dealer credit situation work out?

i had the dynapro's on my suburban and they were fucking awesome. i loved them.

They're giving me $500 for the goodyears as long as I buy tires from them. They can get pretty much any tire and will price match. I'm not complaining. Cost to go from stock 32's to the 34.5's will be $500 and I get a significantly better tire while I'm at it. They also gave me a pretty cheap quote to do the 2" front spacer and 3" rear block with alignment so might have them do that too and just be done.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
If you guys have watched their older videos where they do the max towing tests going up the ike gauntlet 7% grade at 1 mile elevation, the 2014 ecoboost truck seems to be the fastest and bestest. It doesnt seem to struggle like the others. And the 2500 HD ram with the Hemi got slaughtered going up the hill by the huge DA. They were flat footed with it and it was just able to keep 40mph going up the hill. Scary. But the EB F150 with its max, they had to keep letting off other wise it would keep breaking the speed limit. What an impressive truck.

And the fuel economy of that Eco-Boost engine? They SUCK at towing anything somewhat heavy. Been in my friends and witnessed him getting 7mpg cruising 72mph down a flat highway with a big trailer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info